how to set up a network?

natej315 said:
The netwokr cable their isnt a maxium lol just as long as teh calbe reaches from one comp to the other also make sure that both of the computers have a(an) externet port haha sorry

Actually there is a max length of 100meters on cat5 cables(network cable) but I don't think that will be a problem inside of your house.

a that is very good! i was going to get some cheap 'cat thingy 5' cables and they are only about £5.00 for quite a length i think. these are the patch ones used for use with a hub, i need a hub as my sis is gonna get a lapto soon too.

If you a your sister need internet access you're better to get a router than a hub because the process of accessing the internet with a router in much easier. With the hub you'll be getting into ICS (internet connection sharing) and if your ISP give you only one IP address you'll possibly need a second network card....so if I were you I'd buy a router to make things easier.

i went to the computer shop down-town yestarday, and i was also told that i would need a router. as these are around £80.00 ill have to wait for a while before i can get one!" lol

the maximum length for a cross over cable ( or any ethernet (cat5)) cable is roughly 100meters,

If you want to share the internet then a router probably is best, unless you already have a router based modem these can be expensive to buy.

There is a chance that you might have a regular modem with a network adapter, and you need a computer to sign in... your modem may have the choice of Ethernet or USB.
in this case, I suggest (as a cheap option), rather than buying an 80 quid router go and grab a freetalk box from dixons, this only costs about 20 quid and can be used to sign onto the internet, combine this with the cheapest ethernet hub you can find and you've got an 80 quid router for about 30 quid, (that's what I do),

my setup is Telewest modem, connect via Ethernet to a freetalk box, which is connected to a hub,
The free talk box has built in firewall, DMZ, Routing, DNS and DHCP server.
oh and it's also a phone, with a low cost subscription and a free to any UK landline phone!

I would prefer gettting a wireless router anywayz. Most routers are set up to be DHCP server so they will hand out IP addresses to computer automatically. Other wise if you have just a hub/switch you would have to manually assign IP address to each computer in order for them to see each other.

Sure the router will cost more but it could actually make life a little easier. Just remember that if you do get wireless that you read your owners manual and lock down the router with a WEP key so only those who know the key can access your network!!!

ahh... the beauty of networking.

Back
Top Bottom