Safe Overclock?

kocheez75

In Runtime
Ok, bare with me here, I have an OLD system, 6 years to be exact, and i want to milk it out as long as I can. PIII 800mhz, 256 ram, nVidia TNT M64 32mb (no fan). I ran 3dmark01 and got a score of 885 stock speed (125core, 143mem).

Then I cranked it up to 145core, 147mem, and got a score of 905.

I guess the question is, whats a common amount of increase before it gets too dangerous? Isn't it more dangerous to turn up the memory than the core?

Also, I want to crank this mofo up as far as it can go to see what kind of score I will get, but would that likely fry my system, even if it was for a couple of minutes?

As long as u don't touch the voltage and keep an eye on the temps it's not gonna be dangerous. Just increase the core and mem by 5 at a time, and then when u start getting artifacts or other stuff that doesn't seem right turn down the clock speeds a little. And remember to keep an eye on the temps. And when u have got the best possible clock speeds play a game for a few hours or run a benchmark for a few hours.
If it's stable the whole time (no artifacts etc) then it's good, if u get some artifacts etc. then lower the clock speeds and try again.

Even I get artifacts on my video card, when its normal clocks. So.. I dunno, just carefull, when doing it. And yeah, i know im taking about a GPU, comparting to a CPU.. Just saying though..

ArrizX_MuziK said:
Even I get artifacts on my video card, when its normal clocks. So.. I dunno, just carefull, when doing it. And yeah, i know im taking about a GPU, comparting to a CPU.. Just saying though..

then it's probably not working exactly like it should be. Artifacts shouldn't occur if everything is ok. :confused:

Well its guild wars when its happening. and only after I play for 4 or more hours straight

Just ran a few benchmarks...@1024X768 32-bit

Stock 125/143: 885

Overclock 170/177: 1069

I might try and max it out tomorrow and see what happens. If something were to go wrong, would it just affect the card, or could it possibly affect the motherboard?

Burn out the card. Although it might burn the slot its in if it gets too hot. Althugh I doubt that.

Back
Top Bottom