Upgrading system, and integrated video/audio or not?

Sorry for not being back in touch til now. Work........ it was a long morning...one that ended at 3 pm.

First, thanks for all the suggestions.

I really wanted to stay at about $300 or no more than $350. I was poking around at the Dell site the other day, which is what really started me thinking about doing this.....and I can get Dimension B110, knock off $20 for the monitor, I have my own, add shipping and I can pull it down for like 329. BUT I was concerned about the fact that it was all integrated.

This Athlon build that I listed as being interested in is at the price I want, and it does have an 80 gig Western HD and XP home. I'm not networking really, so Home should be fine for me.

I think he also said that I can just turn off the audio and video and use my own cards if I wanted. Sound card, I would probably just keep my Creative SB PCI128, but I would go up to the Nvidia card for video. 4 usb ports in back and two in front, 512 MB DDR, use my own Sony CDRW. I think that would work just fine and that's using the AMD 3200.

THere are LOTS of options out there, which is why I am here asking you guys for ideas. I know a good bit about how to put this stuff together and, etc. I just don't have any real knowledge of what is current and best for my needs. Last machine I bought was this 333 mhz. I'm kind of out of the loop now.

While I would prefer an Intel, and a P4 at that, I don't think I would have to have it though, as has been mentioned that a Celeron would be just as good for my needs, don't ya think? Weren't Celerons once the golden child for overclocking for a while there?

I keep hearing Sempron tossed around. What's the dilly on those? Any good? Is that like the AMD equiv of the Intel Celeron?

And believe it or not, I am running Win XP PRO on my current 256MB SDRam machine, Microsoft Office, DSL modem and LAN, and really, it is incredibly stable and it is not that slow. Honest. It handles Access, Excel, all that.......OH and I am using PCAnywhere 10 to telecommute with my bad-ass computer at work. Like a breeze......all on 256. And I swear, I am not sitting around waiting and tapping fingers while applications open or work. Trust me, I am the most impatient person I know. I do not have a patience factor above -1. If it were slow as crap, it would have already been sliced and diced.

So with that said, I would like to do this for $300 TOTAL or no more than $350 total.

Joxley....you suggest this:

Intel Pentuim 4/Celeron
1GB DDR 400 ram
Simple 128mb video card
100GB SATA hard drive
Just use onboard sound...

What about dropping the RAM down to 512 and the HD to 80?

Dude1234, I started piecing my own machine together with a new case, power supply, motherboard, 80gig HD, Sempron CPU, etc. using my own CDR, sound card, ethernet and etc. I was still coming in over $400.

Sorry to be so all over the place with this. But I'm trying to cover all the bases, and ask and learn as much as I can.

I'll check back this evening or tomorrrow.

Thanks again for all the advice so far, from everyone.

-- R

joepic said:
what is your price range? if i were you, go with an intel. but if you can get an amd for cheaper, go for that. 512 mb of ram, with a pentium 4, or amd 3200, would definitely, definitely be a huge difference.

No more than $350 total. I'm not being cheap, I just don't need that much of a system is all. And when there are so many out there for under and at 300, I think that's a reasonable amount....350.

And that's about where I was thinking I need to be, around the area of the suggestions you gave.

Go with that AMD system. Joxley, come on man, did you even see what he wanted to do? There will be no difference between that AMD and the Intel that he will notice for those tasks. Give me a break.

That system isn't bad, even for today's standards. You might want to stick another stick of RAM in there, but that won't be needed right away. Since you're on that tight of a budget, you need to snatch up that sucker for 300 bucks as soon as you can because you're not going to find a better computer than that for that price.

Since you're going to have a PCI-Express video card slot, you have nothing to worry about if you ever do decide to upgrade the video card. However, what it has now shoud be just fine for what you're going to be doing!

I was looking through newegg and noticed this - which may be something along the lines of being capable of handling what you need, and for a good price.
http://www.newegg.com/product/Product.asp?item=N82E16819112208 (CPU) + (Combo) http://www.newegg.com/product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813185069 (Motherboard)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16822144102 (HDD)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16811164057 (Case + PSU)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814271001 (LOL, this is open to change. ;) - but it's not integrated? :D)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820223009 (512MB 3200 DDR RAM)
Came to $212.47 before taxes and shipping - which, I live in Canada, so I'm not keen on what your taxes or shipping would be. I don't think I missed anything, but for what you do, I don't think there should be any problems. Personally, there's definitely a better video card you could get with a little extra money - or maybe a CPU upgrade, amongst other things - but for what you said you'd use the system for, it didn't appear to really be a problem. Along with the fact that you already have a sound card. Just a build to consider anyway.

Thanks for all the help. I now have several good ideas from all the suggestions you have given. I am going to probably just get a build put together with all new stuff, pass this old computer off to my sister if she wants it (she has a beat up old laptop and does nothing but check email, so it would be fine for her) and once I get all my pieces together I have a shop that is going to put it all together and get it running for me.

Thanks again and I'll let you know what I end up with when I get there.

And I will be back to this forum, lots of nice people and a lot of knowledge. Very helpful!

Back
Top Bottom