Problems with my new computer..

Headhunter1

Solid State Member
Hi there I bought a new computer for about a week ago...had a friend of mine help me build it and all and it seemed to work great then..

But when I started running it at home it started acting weird it freezes up on me when I play games and it restarted once to when I playee the game and windows told me it was because the graphic card went unstable. (thats only happened once though) but the main problem is that it freezes up everytime I play a game..I can only have the game running about 10 minutes before that happens.. The monitor goes black for a second or two to...not turning off the monitor though just goes black and the picture comes back again..

I have an idea about it maybe it could be the graphic card I have installed.. but since it is a PCI-Express card I dont have an older one to switch to to get a idea of it or not..

Have thought of an conflict in the system to the specs for the computer is:
Motherboard: Asus P5RD1-V
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 630 3,0GHz Socket 775 FSB800 2MB Cache
Memory: Corsair VS 1024M DDR 400MHz PC3200 (Duak memories 2x512Mb)
Graphic card: Asus EN6600 256MB SILENCER GeForce 6600 PCI Express DVI TV-out
DVD writer: NEC ND3550 16X DVD±R/RW Dual Layer bulk
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 250GB 8MB cache SATA
Powersupply: Sweex ATX 650 Watt Gold Big Fan

Please help me find an answer to my problems since I dont want a new computer that doesnt work.. =)

One last note..I have tried by updating the graphicdrive from nvidias site with no result, also tried to do a format and install windows XP pro at new but with no result. Also updated the motherboard drive again with no result.

Thanks in advance /Rick

No the cooling is fine...it has a resting temp at 32 deegrees celsius. so no problem there...I edited my original popst and said I updated the nvidia driver.. The casing is new and has three fans two at the side and one in the back...and a very nice cooling reroute...

Check the temperatures under load. I'm guessing you don't have a fan on your video card since it is a "Silencer"; you might want to put a exhaust blower fan under it if you have one (they're really cheap too) or stick an 80mm fan under it blowing towards it. See if that helps.

Well this sounds very noobish but I dont have a faintest idea how to check the temperature under load...I have asus probe installed wich checks the temperature.. but it seems to show the processors temperature while resting? Furthermore no the card doesnt have a fan since it is silenced it only has a a heatsink...(atleast I think the name for it is heatsink..I am swedish so dont know every english word.. )

Okay, right-click your desktop, and select Nvidia Display, and the name of your card (it should appear next to it). There should be a little menu at the left, see if there is something called "Temperature Settings" and click that. If there isn't, try to download RivaTuner (http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=163) and see if it'll tell you.

By the way, I was (and still am) talking about the video card temperature, not the processor temperature. I'm sure the processor is fine. This definitely sounds like a video card overheating problem or something, and since you have the silenced version, I'm inclined to think that's what it is.

Well I have checked the graphic cards core temp at work...It is resting at 52 deegrees celsius and goes up to about 59-60 when playing...couldnt play to long though cause I was scared of the system freezing up again..Had the game running actively for about 5-10 minutes.. I used that riva program to.. =) Dont know how high the temp is going to vbe at to be fine though?

I ran the game knights of the old republic til the comp froze up again and logged the temp with riva tuner and when the comp froze up the temp were pending between 62-63 degrees celsius..

That should be fine with that card... What exactly is happening when it freezes? Can you describe it?

basically exactly what it sounds like..It dont matter what I do I can be out surfing the web or playing a game without any lagging or warning the computer suddenly just freezes up and I have to reboot with the reset button..and all of a sudden also without warning or lagging the display goes black for a second and then comes back.. Its really weird..

Back
Top Bottom