Dual Hdd.

Liminator

In Runtime
Dual Hard Drives?

Hi recently I was talking to my friend about HDD's and RPM's. Then he mentioned getting two hard drives and linking them to work together and combined they would work faster than say the Raptor HDD's.

For example:

2 7200RPM HDD's can be linked to work faster than 1 10,000 RPM HDD.

Is this possible and how can I accomplish this?

What he is talking about is RAID 0, I believe... I don't have a RAID setup so I don't know if that's the right number and I don't know the difference between them, really. I don't know if they would be faster than one 10,000 RPM, but I would think so.

Well, i think he is asking if 2 7200rmp dirves in raid 0 will out perform 1 raptor. In that case i think the 2 7200's in raid 0 will beat the 1 raptor at 10,000 rpm..Just a guess though not positive so dont quote me on it...But common sense would make you believe so...Two 7200's workin togother as one, as too 1 10,000 working alone..I would take the 2 7200's as the winner...Hope that helps/

You want to setup RAID 0 though for maximum performance gains. I've read through it and it seems pretty straightforward. Just follow the guide. Basically, there's a RAID utility you configure upon boot up. It will tell you to press a certain key to access it. After that's done, it will continue the Windows Setup if you have the Windows XP CD in the drive for installtion. Press F6 to install the SATA RAID drivers. Usually, you'll need to find this from the motherboard CD on another computer. THen copy it over to floppy disk. Once that is installed, Windows will continue to setup on the RAID drive.

OK thanks a bunch.

Right now I have an ATA hard drive. So I'd want to back up all my info onto a SATA hardrive and then install two SATA hardrives. After that I would follow your instructions. Right?

Or do I need to fresh hard drives.

Back
Top Bottom