dual or single

jakehopt

Solid State Member
I'm buying a new computer soon, and I want to know

Should I buy a single of Dual core?

What's the pro's and Con's of both? Help please.

Single Core: One physical Processor, is a good competitor in today's games. Not a good choice if you want to play games coming out in Q3 and Q4 of this year.

Dual Core: Two Physical Processors. Excellent competitor in today's games, although does not win in all games. Very good choice if you want to have a "future-proof" PC and be able to play games that are coming out in Q3 and Q4 of this year.

All-in-all, get a Dual Core. It's the way to go. :)

I agree - you can get very competitive dual-core processors. It is true that if you play games, a single core is likely to provide a better experience than an overclocked dual-core (Except for in games where multithreaded support is active - or unless you have it clocked the same as the single core) in the case where stock speed is taken into consideration.

The difference between the dual-cores and the single cores basically lie in the experience given - dual-cores give you a fluid computing experience with unsurpassed multitasking capabilities that a single core processor will not be able to offer you - and with the advent of multithreaded software development, dual-core looks to have a promising future. If you want the upgrade to last longer, it is likely that a dual-core will give you an extended life on your PC. With this said, a single core is just fine, and although mulithreaded support has increased, there would be nothing wrong with either purchase. However... Since you can find easily overclockable dual-core processors, it has become common to buy a (As an example) P4 2.8GHz Presler (D920) and overclock it to upwards of 4GHz on air cooling - where even overclocking the dual-core to 3.4GHz, in reality, gives a good gaming experience. The price difference is nearly in favour of dual-cores like this now.

Yes, what they said. I have to say dual core too. Single core is slowly becoming a thing of the past. You'll still see some newer single core CPUs around, but it's the transition point right now where dual core is becoming more dominant.

In the future, we'll be looking at multi state CPUs. Instead of binary zero's and one's, there will be 10 states (0-9). Do you guys have any idea how fast this will be? Very very fast. Most of the processes we do now with current CPU's won't even have to be done anymore, plus things will be done much faster.

That should be AMD and Intel's next goal. Multi state CPU.

yeah, my next build is gonna have an X2 3800, but i dont know what video card! i don't want to go overboard with the money, but i want a GPU that will be future proof. does anyone have any advice?
but as for you, definitely go with dual core

TRDCorolla said:
Yes, what they said. I have to say dual core too. Single core is slowly becoming a thing of the past. You'll still see some newer single core CPUs around, but it's the transition point right now where dual core is becoming more dominant.

In the future, we'll be looking at multi state CPUs. Instead of binary zero's and one's, there will be 10 states (0-9). Do you guys have any idea how fast this will be? Very very fast. Most of the processes we do now with current CPU's won't even have to be done anymore, plus things will be done much faster.

That should be AMD and Intel's next goal. Multi state CPU.

This is true.

Multi-State processing should be a new goal. So far the goals of the processor manufacturer's has been more cores, instead of more processing. Multi-State processing should be a new goal. But then again, we must also wonder when Quantum Processors will come out. So far, we have a long wait. Although as technology grows, the wait becomes less and less. :)

I'm glad someone see's the same view as me. Multi core CPUs is ok, but we really need to spend more time to perfect multi state CPUs. I haven't heard of quantum processors but it sounds very high tech. Once the CPU gets fast again, everthing else in the system will have to be beefed up like RAM, hard drive, motherboards, etc. Otherwise, severe bottlenecks could occur. That's probably one of the reasons why it's not available yet. I'm sure they're in the works and tested. Government's probably using them by now, lol.

Back
Top Bottom