Will everyone please take 30 seconds to help me..

Well I dont think their really going to get rid of it. Just for an idea to what the student body wants. And im telling you what I want, and im asking you to help me show it :)

I voted for, "Eliminate the WASL altogether." And, I also sent them an e-mail. Here it is in its full entirty. :)

Justin McGillivary said:
Why should a test determain wether a student graduates or not? Shouldn't it be based upon the core classes and the required credits? Not a test, which by the way, may make some students so nervous that they could fail. Why would you want to jeopordize a student's chance at his or her future based upon one test that determains if they graduate or not?

I'm sorry, but here in Oregon we do not have such a test, because we know how irrelevant it is to base one's future upon a simple, or at times, rather complicated, test. Graduation should be based upon if they meet the requirements of school, which is if they recieve 22.0 credits over their High School career, along with passing the core/required classes, as well as completing a Focus Program of Study, and if they have passed certain Elective Classes.

This idea of a test that determains graduation just seems like a very stupid idea.

Sincerly,
Justin McGillivary

What they were refering to was you posting this and getting others outside the area to vote. It's an issue that doesn't concern the rest of us. It's something internal to your school district. You have to have a standard some where to determine who passes and who fails.

This is honestly wrong...I mean...maybe if we were students but we are not...I voted keep it as a requirement.

setishock said:
What they were refering to was you posting this and getting others outside the area to vote. It's an issue that doesn't concern the rest of us. It's something internal to your school district. You have to have a standard some where to determine who passes and who fails.

Exactly, a system to determain who passes and who fails. But the system they are implementing is rather stupid in my opinion. Here's why...

Say someone has all their credits, has everything passed, and is set to graduate on time and with their class. But, they have to take this W.A.S.L test. They get nervous, and they fail. Now, here come ssomeone who is barely passing their classes, and may or may not graduate on time. He passes the test.

Does the person who is doign exceptionally well, yet fails the W.A.S.L deserve to no graduate? Or the person who barely passes his classes, and is on the boarder line, yet passes the W.A.S.L deserve to graduate?

Sorry to say, but these kinds of test DO NOT determain anything. They're nothign more then a scare-factor. In my humble opinion, these tests are ridiculous and irrelevant to students who are seniors and their effort to graduate.

Back
Top Bottom