AMD Dethrowned. Intel Steps up.

SSE5 said:
Intel would have no reason to rig the Conroe to make it look better - the architecture, and everything about the processor, is simply superior to that of the AMD64 - as is expected. Also, they know very well the consequences of "rigging" everything in their favour - since enthusiasts will be watching closely for benchmarks when the actual processor launches anyway, so the whole idea is just twisted because some are still in denial. Which is interesting in itself - since I see here that there are some old AMD fanatics that seem to have become... Reformed, I guess we'll say.

The thing is, Intel already has "combined" "AMD's" gaming with it's reliability. The main reason AMD64 did so well in gaming was it's shorter pipeline - where games are concerned, the longer the pipeline, the longer things take. Whereas the shorter AMD64 pipeline processed information far quicker - branch prediction could do nothing for Intel where gaming was concerned, but hyper-pipelining was designed with media in purpose, not gaming. Plus, with Conroe's widened pipeline (Thus, 4 instructions per cycle instead of 3) the Conroe does more than the AMD64, despite the longer pipeline. It's simply better in every way - minus the memory controller. Manufacturing in the bulk Intel does, it would cost them money when they can get similar performance increases in other ways, for less. It's a big corporation after all.

That said, the Conroe is the competition for AMD64 that we never saw. However, I've heard from sources inside Intel that they've already got a new successor core to Conroe through several stages of development. Needless to say - Intel isn't standing still anymore. We're just waiting on it's competition - so we can all get that competitive price war we've all been waiting for. :D

Very nice post! Deinfetly getting a rep point for that one. Plus, for being relativly new, you are bringing VERY good information. Way to distinguish yourself form the rest of the pack. Job well done. :D

As for the Conroe, there is still much we do not know about it. Infact, no one knows anything for 100% except from what Intel tells them. However, the successor to Conroe in my humble opinioon is the Kentsfield, or possibly a Pentium V (5). Who knows, but one thing is forcertain, I live 10 minutes away from the headquarters of Intel, just might have to apply for a job there. ;)

SSE5 said:
Intel would have no reason to rig the Conroe to make it look better - the architecture, and everything about the processor, is simply superior to that of the AMD64 - as is expected. Also, they know very well the consequences of "rigging" everything in their favour - since enthusiasts will be watching closely for benchmarks when the actual processor launches anyway, so the whole idea is just twisted because some are still in denial. Which is interesting in itself - since I see here that there are some old AMD fanatics that seem to have become... Reformed, I guess we'll say.

The thing is, Intel already has "combined" "AMD's" gaming with it's reliability. The main reason AMD64 did so well in gaming was it's shorter pipeline - where games are concerned, the longer the pipeline, the longer things take. Whereas the shorter AMD64 pipeline processed information far quicker - branch prediction could do nothing for Intel where gaming was concerned, but hyper-pipelining was designed with media in purpose, not gaming. Plus, with Conroe's widened pipeline (Thus, 4 instructions per cycle instead of 3) the Conroe does more than the AMD64, despite the longer pipeline. It's simply better in every way - minus the memory controller. Manufacturing in the bulk Intel does, it would cost them money when they can get similar performance increases in other ways, for less. It's a big corporation after all.

That said, the Conroe is the competition for AMD64 that we never saw. However, I've heard from sources inside Intel that they've already got a new successor core to Conroe through several stages of development. Needless to say - Intel isn't standing still anymore. We're just waiting on it's competition - so we can all get that competitive price war we've all been waiting for. :D

lol. Very funny post.

Intel was desperate. They've released specs on a processor that won't be released in another 6 months. Intel is feeling the heat right now, and they have every reason to be.

Declaring Intel the winner already would be wishful thinking at this point. There are many things left unsaid. For example: x86-64 applications.

In anycase, we cannot assume AMD is sitting still either. AMD will release information on the AM2 in June; just a few months before Conroe is released.

For the time-being, AMD is still whooping Intel. For the next 6 months, AMD cannot be touched. You can wait half a year all you want, but the PC industry moves quickly and I won't wait 6 months to buy a processor that may or may not be the second coming.

Quinton McLeod said:

lol. Very funny post.

Intel was desperate. They've released specs on a processor that won't be released in another 6 months. Intel is feeling the heat right now, and they have every reason to be.

Declaring Intel the winner already would be wishful thinking at this point. There are many things left unsaid. For example: x86-64 applications.

In anycase, we cannot assume AMD is sitting still either. AMD will release information on the AM2 in June; just a few months before Conroe is released.

For the time-being, AMD is still whooping Intel. For the next 6 months, AMD cannot be touched. You can wait half a year all you want, but the PC industry moves quickly and I won't wait 6 months to buy a processor that may or may not be the second coming.

I agree to a point with you. :)

I also mentioned that we can't take anything as fact aside from what Intel themselves release, or an actual benchmark posted by a website/PC Magazine etc. For the time being, AMD is winning, however, things may very well change. Then again, AMD might just release something to beat the Conroe. But even after that, Intel has said that they already have a successor chip to the Conroe. Makes you wonder what's really going on at AMD and Intel.

For all I know, whichever processor is better in the next 6 months, that's what will determain what CPU I'm putting in my next build. For right now, Intel is winning in CPUs-to-come. Until AMD releases information on their next CPU/s, I'm still stickign with the Conroe. Mainly because it overs extreme performance at a very reasonable cost. Just look at the benchmakrs that have been posted, Conroe beats the X2 4800+, and it beats the Athlon FX-60, both rather expensive CPUs to own. So, possibly in terms of price-to-performance Intel will win. Who knows, but definetly within the next 6 months, we will most certainly know. :)

Who knows its not even out yet looks awesome and there talking of a succesor(thats kind of desperate talking about of a succesor ona processor thats not out yet)

NeXuS said:
Who knows its not even out yet looks awesome and there talking of a succesor(thats kind of desperate talking about of a succesor ona processor thats not out yet)

Maybe not desperate, but confident? Who knows, either way, this year is going to bring about some VERY exciting new parts! :D

like the new name not a intel fan but sounds cool Conroe cant wait for the new CPUs from AMD with the new sockets

JustinMcG67 said:
Maybe not desperate, but confident? Who knows, either way, this year is going to bring about some VERY exciting new parts! :D

Confident? I highly doubt that. Intel is scared. They've done this before with Prescott. We cannot be certain until the processor actually comes out.

Quinton McLeod said:

lol. Very funny post.

Lots of people have already been talking about AM2 - where it has been said that it is likely to offer a 3-5% increase in performance, maximum - which is yet to be seen, of course. So people can't talk about how Conroe is incredibly likely to beat AMD64 - but we're all supposed to stop and hope that AM2 will beat Conroe? What is this hypocritical line of thinking?

Conroe begins production in 4 months - although it is likely that Dell will eat up most of the first batches for its own computers. The point of technology, and true enthusiasts, is to not hold some kind of intimate relationship with neither AMD or Intel - of course AMD is beating current Intel solutions - even though the 9XX and 955 XE have shown incredible improvement, especially with their ease of overclocking. But it's too little too late - you're telling people to "shut up and buy now" because you don't like thinking that an Intel may very well beat AMD in 4 months time. Yet at the same time, you're banking on AM2 as something that's going to thwart Intel's new architecture.

We will see when they come out - but these are tangible figures and obviously, if your advice was worth it, Intel knows that we're going to be watching the benchmarks thoroughly anyway. There's hardly anyone who praises Conroe that's not going to be looking very closely for new benchmarks when Conroe releases before they buy it - so don't be ignorant. But by current benchmarks, Core is going to beat AMD64. Intel isn't "scared," and that's a ridiculous notion. I know several Intel employees on other forums that have said that Intel is simply moving forward heavily right now. Quit being a fanboy and see Conroe for what it is - not the brand it goes under.

And I think the only people who were desperate were those waiting for the competition (Intel) to step up to the peformance plate with current winner (AMD). We all wanted to know how the Conroe would perform - and we got these benchmarks. Think what you like - but personally I'd rather have these benchmarks than nothing at all. Only the fanboys of AMD seem to have injustices to scream about it. They're just benchmarks - but it's not at all unrealistic to think that Core will outperform AMD64 - just like how AMD64 outperformed NetBurst.

SSE5 said:
Lots of people have already been talking about AM2 - where it has been said that it is likely to offer a 3-5% increase in performance, maximum - which is yet to be seen, of course. So people can't talk about how Conroe is incredibly likely to beat AMD64 - but we're all supposed to stop and hope that AM2 will beat Conroe? What is this hypocritical line of thinking?

The AM2 has only been "said", but not proven. The performance ratio is a rumor; nothing more.

No one is saying you're supposed to stop and hope for anything. However, it seems you've already stopped and hoped that Conroe will be the end of AMD 6 months before it's released. Explain to me what this hypocritical line of thinking is.

Conroe begins production in 4 months - although it is likely that Dell will eat up most of the first batches for its own computers. The point of technology, and true enthusiasts, is to not hold some kind of intimate relationship with neither AMD or Intel - of course AMD is beating current Intel solutions - even though the 9XX and 955 XE have shown incredible improvement, especially with their ease of overclocking. But it's too little too late - you're telling people to "shut up and buy now" because you don't like thinking that an Intel may very well beat AMD in 4 months time. Yet at the same tiem, you're banking on AM2 as something that's going to thwart Intel's new architecture.

I never said that AM2 would beat Intel. AMD as a whole is who is in question here.

I'm telling people to "shut up and buy now". There is no point waiting 6 months for a processor that may or may not deliver. Intel has done this before. If you're going to wait for the Conroe, then you might as well wait forever.

We will see when they come out - but these are tangible figures and obviously, if your advice was worth it, Intel knows that we're going to be watching the benchmarks thoroughly anyway. There's hardly anyone who praises Conroe that's not going to be looking very closely for new benchmarks when Conroe releases before they buy it - so don't be ignorant. But by current benchmarks, Core is going to beat AMD64. Intel isn't "scared," and that's a ridiculous notion. I know several Intel employees on other forums that have said that Intel is simply moving forward heavily right now. Quit being a fanboy and see Conroe for what it is - not the brand it goes under.
Even Rahul Sood found something odd with the benchmarks. They were closed systems that featured many problems. You cannot use Intel's benchmark as a way to prove you're right. There's nothing you can say until the processor is released.

And Intel IS scared. If they weren't scared, they wouldn't have released information on a product that isn't supposed to be released in another 6 months.

Me quit being a fanboy? You're one of the biggest Intel fanboys I've seen on here
[/b][/color]

And I think the only people who were desperate were those waiting for the competition (Intel) to step up to the peformance plate with current winner (AMD). We all wanted to know how the Conroe would perform - and we got these benchmarks. Think what you like - but personally I'd rather have these benchmarks than nothing at all. Only the fanboys of AMD seem to have injustices to scream about it. They're just benchmarks - but it's not at all unrealistic to think that Core will outperform AMD64 - just like how AMD64 outperformed NetBurst.

You pretty much wanted table scraps and you have them. They say very little about what is to come 6 months from now. So, while you're sitting in your window, staring down a open field filled with flowers and blue skies; just wishing for Conroe, I'll be sitting with my Opteron 165 and OC'ing it straight to kingdom come. Thank you very much

Back
Top Bottom