AGP Nvidia 6800 GS

Kage

Golden Master
Hehe, now I have my monitor, I'm going to upgrade to a new video card.

My 9800 PRO is showing signs of oldness as you can probably all tell on the latest games on high settings.

Well, my little plan is to get an AGP nVida 6800GS.

I can then since this is basically a 6800GT card with a masked vertex and Pixel line, unlock those two using RivaTuna, and then get a 6800GT from my new card, though because the core and memory is faster than the Ultra, It'll be better than a GT.

6800GT: 16 pixel, 6 vertex, CORE: 350mhz MEM: 1ghz
6800GS: 12 pixel, 5 vertex, CORE: 425mhz MEM: 1ghz

I can then if I want to go further, soft mod it to a 6800 Ultra Extreme :p :

http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/hardware-hacking/35737-mod-your-6800gs-agp-ultra-extreme.html

What do you think? :D

Just got to get my brother to buy it :p He plays games mostly and me only sometimes, and he has a full time job...and I well...don't, so yeah :D

Whats the best make for overclocking the card and performance on AGP versions, would you say?

Kage said:
Whats the best make for overclocking the card and performance on AGP versions, would you say?
I would just try to find a company that has a really good warranty for overclocking. There probably arent any that will protect agianst some of the things you are talking about but I would still want a really good warranty if you are going to be doing these things.

Its probably XFX in that case, since they pre-overclock anyway over the standard I believe.

Can you unlock pipelines on the 6800GS? I've never heard of that... I've only heard that the 6800 can be unlocked.

Although, even if you can't do that, go for it.

Yeah you can unlock pipelines on the AGP version since it still uses the G70 core.
The one for PCI-E uses a different core that actually doesn't have them to unlock.

So its actually better to have AGP for that card :p Though the PCI-E version is very overclockable to make up for it.

eVGA. They offer the best warranty that covers everything, including overclocking. Also, they often have cheap prices, a good StepUp program in case you ever want to upgrade within six months of your purchase, and monthly contests to win graphics cards and the like. eVGA all the way.

Back
Top Bottom