Home Networking Problem

mayorredbeard

Daemon Poster
I have a small home network consisting of four computers. They all use one modem, via a linksys router (not wireless). My internet service type is cable. Here's my problem:

Three out of the four computers in the house work fine. The fourth's internet access goes in and out. Usually when the internet access goes out, if i trudge down to the basement and hit the reset button on the back of the linksys router, go back upstairs, restart the troubled computer, it will then work. This does not always work, just sometimes. Often the internet access will go out for days, or sometimes just for a few minutes. It is completely random. Any ideas?

PS: The computer who's internet access goes in and out is relativly new. The computer that use to be their also had this problem if thats any consolation.

The computer that used to be there ... is it in production elsewhere in your network? Meaning ... is it now one of the other 3? Or is it completely gone? Reason I ask, is that if that computer is still around then I would guess you might have a bad port on the router or a bad cable that is connected to your new computer that may be shorting intermittenly. If you replaced the computer and tossed the old one ... then I would guess the same, but also the possiblity of a bad NIC on the new computer. Is the nic on the new computer onboard or a separate card? Do you have a spare NIC card available to install and test to see if you have the same issue? Perhaps the NIC needs updated drivers. Just some thoughts ... did with them what you will.

*** After reading your PS ... my thinking is that you've got a bad port or cable that is connected to that pc.

the old computer is now completely gone. i have tried replacing the wire between the computer and the wall several times but to no avail. How would i determine whch port this particular computer is plugged into without having to guess and check?

bump21va.jpg

Back
Top Bottom