Legalize Weed & Drinking Age to 16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let them have their fun they will get over it. Todays society is too stirct. Its the parents job, not ours and the parents who want to let their kids drinking let them let them go the bars and all. I really don't hear of any drunken teenagers here don't cause any real problems. I don't know a single teenager who would drink on a school night. And I know a lot of them. I speak from experience not theory. And btw i'm 16...

you must live in suburbia on easy street :) because drinking is everywhere, on every school night. and were nto nescessarally trying to stop them from doing these things, its that were trying to see what peoples opinions are, just a debate/discussion.

and slayer, alright, so weed has solved one problem, what i am talking about is the kids on the street, not the old people in the hospital, lol. and wine is proven to "clean out the bloodstream." but what i am talking about is how many teens do drink irrasponsably. Why would teens drink in the first place, if it wasnt to get drunk? they wouldnt have just one, theres no point to that, weres the rebeliashness<made up, in that?

im just saying from personal views, ive lost 2 friends to drinking every night that i thought would never, and over 10 to weed, which leads to coke, which leads to "life down the drain" btw when i say lost i dont mean dead, i mean just dont do anything besides that, they sersiouly wont do anything at night if they dont have some sort of drug in them.

in this debate, with alchohol, the bads outweigh the goods by too much to measure, and with weed, i cant even fish out the word to describe how terrible that drug is.

"oh its so harmless!!!"

no its not, try watching one of your best friends, the one person you see eye to eye with slowly start completing sentances with uhm between every word. its not an easy thing to see, and thats not all folks, try watching him get skinnier, and skinnier, and realizing there is only one drug that can cause someone to get that skinny that quick.

and the argument about experiment earlier, when someone finds something in an experiement to be positive, of course their going to experiement further into it, that applies with drugs also, one leads to another and all of a sudden their begging for money to satisfy their addiction, or working for the sole fact to satisfy their addiction.

the bads outweigh the goods, theres really no argument that can prove that wrong.

Then they simply after teh "high" which is not all poeple. And I don't live on easy street. I had kids back in the states who smoke, and drank everyday. But thats in american not isn't it? You go to the baro n a monday night you see a few old poeple, maybe a few teens in the back playing darts. And this is a bar on the weekends its packed with younger folks.

xguynameddavex said:
and slayer, alright, so weed has solved one problem, what i am talking about is the kids on the street, not the old people in the hospital, lol.

For your information, I have a very close friend who suffers from MS. She's 23, and certainly isn't "in the hospital", she lives her life as much as she can regardless of her disability. However, to live a full life, she smokes Cannabis to ease the pain and to enable her to do what you or I consider to be normal activities. Her Doctor is fully aware of this, and is happy with it, as the other medication she has tried, has not had the same effect.

and wine is proven to "clean out the bloodstream."

Indeed, but it's still alcohol, is it not?

but what i am talking about is how many teens do drink irrasponsably. Why would teens drink in the first place, if it wasnt to get drunk? they wouldnt have just one, theres no point to that, weres the rebeliashness<made up, in that?

Yes, it is for the rebellious factor. But if they're brought up by their parents to know the effects, dangers and their limits to alcohol, where's the need to rebel and get senselessly paralytic then?

Going through only personal experience, I was brought up in a house where drinking was an open subject. It happened alot round here. 24 hour long parties, random stay overs, pubs, biker clubs, local festivals, anything you can imagine, which I'm sure a few certain members here would see as an irresponsible upbringing. If I wanted to drink at home when I was younger (12 -14ish), I was allowed to, obviously within reason. If I did drink at home, someone would be watching over me making sure I didn't go too far. Because I was allowed to drink at home, I didn't feel the need to lay on street corners, drunk as a ferret and unable to move. If I wanted to drink at an adult friends house, I was allowed to.

By the age of 16, I had been drunk. I'd experienced hangovers, and went to my first proper festival, Download ('04). While there, I was allowed to go do anything I wanted. Get drunk, go wander around the festival on my own, drink with people I'd never met before etc. I was allowed to do such a thing because I knew, to an extent what I was doing, I knew my limits and yes, I got drunk each night I was there, but not once did I get myself to the state where I lost control. I was allowed to do such a thing because from my parents experience, going to a metal-music orientated festival was one of the safest public places to be, because it's an environment where everyone looks after eachother, and everyone there was there to have a laugh, have some harmless fun, enjoy the music and have a drink or two. Since then, I've been to many festivals and gigs, both local and large, including Download again in '05, and I intend on going again this year. As I said, to some here, what would be seen as an irresponsible upbringing. Have I ever got into a drunken fight though? Nope. Have I ever had to be taken home by the police because they found me as a drunken mess in the centre of town? Nope. Ever had my stomach pumped? Nope. I could go on, but you get the idea. Now I'm the supposed "big 18". Do I get completely legless in pubs? Nope. I'll drink, but I'll do it responsibilty.

My point is, alcohol is relatively safe to teens if they're brought up with the right attitude towards it. I wasn't guarded from what happened to people if they drank too much. I wasn't told "alcohol is the most dangerous thing you could ever do", and from that, I learnt what happens if you drink irresponsibly, and I learnt to respect it. Where as, as Roots point backs up, if a teen is brought up in a strict, non-alcohol use household, chances are, they will rebel, and will drink for the thrill/kick of it, because out of their house, they can. But they won't know what they're doing, and THAT'S where accidents, fights, and deaths, happen. The same thing applies to Cannabis. If you're aware of the dangers and the effects before you even touch it, then if you ever do, you're gonna be a hell of a lot more careful with it. Chances are you'll have seen what happens to people who over use it, and again, if you want to smoke it, you'll make sure you don't ever get yourself to that extent.

In no way am I saying Alcohol and Weed are harmless, because I'd be a warped, stupid idiot to do so, and I'm sorry to hear about the mates you lost because of them. However, it's in our society, has been for years, and in no way am I saying that it's right, but nothing in the near future can be done about that. It's a shame, it really is, but the best thing people can do is if they have kids, don't shield them from the outside world. If a child is hidden from the real goings on in the world, when he or she gets to the legal drinking age and wants to go and use it, they be a danger to themselves, and everyone else around them.

No, dont, then there would be a load of scumbag weed smokers and kids drinking, its good how it is.

rusbo.uk said:
No, dont, then there would be a load of scumbag weed smokers and kids drinking, its good how it is.

Wake up and smell the coffee dude, there are already loads of "scumbags" (hahahahaha) around. It's part of society these days, and all the ignorance in the world couldn't deny it. Now, would you rather people drank and smoked in the streets and got other innocent people hurt because they don't know what they're doing, or people who are responsible with alcohol and Cannabis, and the kids OFF the streets? Sadly, neither alcohol or cannabis can be or ever will be stopped completely, so surely you'd choose the latter?

Slayer i love your way of thinking and your views man.

Seriously man how can you say there would be a load of "scumbag" smokers and drinkers, you need a little reality check man because like Slayer said its part of every day life even here in America whether (lol i cant spell) you like it or not.

I agree its already here, we ain't stopping it. The current tactic of strict laws isn't working. The definition of insainity is trying the same thing over, and over again expecting a different result.

Its people like you that are the ones letting it happen, letting become a controlling factor of our day and age more and more. I'm not insulting you, but what is your reasoning for these thoughts, i mean your just agreeing with slayer /:, i want to know why you think it cant be stopped, not just that you agree.

It can be stopped, and im not saying shield people from it.

EX: slavery, people probobly said the same thing about slaves, "Slavery cant be stopped, its already here" i dont see too many slaves around today do you?

Im not saying computerforums.org should form a league of extrordinary prohibitioners... lol thought of that myself... but if it is bad, like you said slayer, if you agree that it is a problem, then why are you arguing for it?

The legal age is fine the way it is, when you hit that age, statistics say your mind isnt growing anymore, 21 is the age were critical thinking kicks in and your as close to an adult as you have ever been, and thats why the legal age is set to 21.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom