Problem with Monitor/Vid Card

Elsrind

Solid State Member
I have been having problem turning on my PC recently. Actually the problem is with the Monitor. The PC won't activate it. I suspect my Vid card. Specs of PC

Intel Pentium4 3ghz processor
1 Gigram
Geforce 6800gt
Seagate80g HD
Abit A7 MB
Liteon DVD dual layer drive
XP home
19' CRT monitor

The Vid card seems to be getting power, but I can't get any picture through the monitor. I have tried pluggin in my lappy to the monitor and it fires up straight away so I assume its fine. I am kinda keen not have to throw away my Geforce as its only 15 months old, but I am not sure what else to try. I have tried testing cords, resetting cmos and tweaking power cords and getting a pcture via the s-video on the TV. Any other ideas on what I can try?

Cheers for any help )

What makes you suspect it's the graphics card??? Any number of hardware faults can cause this to happen on a PC. I had this happen to me and it turned out to be a faulty 56k modem.

Have you installed any hardware recently or changed your configuration??? Also check that all cable are connected properly.

You could try removing all cards except the graphics card and seeing if it boots. If it does, then you just replace everything until you find the culprit.

Do you have an old graphics card anywhere you could try???

I just suspect its the graphics card because thats the main interface between the two devices. I have tried removing all cables and replugging in to no effect. I have removed the vid card several times and readded to no effect as well.

The PC seems to boot ok, as far as I can tell anyway without seeing a picture on a screen. I'll try removing all components and adding tehm back in and see if that works. I may be able to source an old geforce and try that.

This happended to a computer at my school and I just moved the monitor around, probably a loose connection somewhere and then it worked. But dunno what happening with you.

Yeah, I must admit I thought that when mine went, but like I said it turned out to be a faulty modem. When I took that out it booted fine like nothing had happened.

Does the motherboard make any beeps when you try to boot???

Weird, and as the monitor seems to be working, its nothing to do with that.

When did this start happening? Did it just occur? Or is this a new build you've tried making with an older video card?

Like for example, one day did it all work fine, and the next, it stopped powering up the monitor?

If its a new build with an older video card, make sure the molex power connector plugged into it is giving the vidoe card enough power.

POWER HUNGRY:

The Geforce 6800GT you see is rather power hungry, and most video cards of its type need a seperate power line than the rest of the PC.

So make sure that the molex power connector going to the video card to give it extra power is on its own rail, and so nothing else is plugged into that power line.

Weird, and as the monitor seems to be working, its nothing to do with that.

When did this start happening? Did it just occur? Or is this a new build you've tried making with an older video card?

> It did just suddenly start occuring. It worked fine and then nothing. i did get 2 blue screen restarts, citing video card file errors. I updated the driver on the card and hoped that had fixed the problem, but obviously it didn't because next time I started it up again it wouldn't kick in the monitor.

Like for example, one day did it all work fine, and the next, it stopped powering up the monitor?

>As above it worked fine then a vid card file error on the blue screen then, it died.

If its a new build with an older video card, make sure the molex power connector plugged into it is giving the vidoe card enough power.

>Its as I ordered it. I ordered it 18 months ago and designed it as it is and I have made no mods since except the power box.

POWER HUNGRY:

The Geforce 6800GT you see is rather power hungry, and most video cards of its type need a seperate power line than the rest of the PC.

>I will check this, though I believe I gave it a dedicated power line out of a thermaltake 430wat power box that I just bought.

So make sure that the molex power connector going to the video card to give it extra power is on its own rail, and so nothing else is plugged into that power line.

>i'll check this

Hmm, a video card that make the PC not to boot and when removed it boots? How about reseating memory and resetting CMOS, plugging the video card back in and try that?

Sorry if I make myself unclear. The PC boots ok all the time, or at least i assume it does, I can't tell because I have no monitor. However the monitor just does start up on any boot.

I have cleared cmos to no effect and checked all cables.

Back
Top Bottom