Help! My CD/DVD Drive is gone!?!?

Jerri

Beta member
Hi, I am using Windows XP. All the sudden my CD/DVD drive is missing. There is no icon to click on to use the CD drive. I have searched all through my computer for some way to get it to operate. I can not even reload any software that originally came with it, because the drive doesn't function. The door will open but it will not read any cd. It was working just fine and then all of the sudden it is GONE! I went to the device manager and there is no longer a CD/DVD Drive listed. What do I do and what the heck happened? Thank you in advance. Signed, Frustrated.

First, check in the BIOS and see if it detects an optical drive installed and let us know what it says. Also were you working inside your computer case? I had the same problem one time when i accidently knocked a cable loose that was connected to my cd drive and got the same problems. It also might have just come loose naturally.

btw, don't make two threads. but i'll forgive you...

Hi, Thanks so much for your reply. No, never in the case. Forgive me, but I am not that computer savvy. What are the BIOS and where do I go to get to them? LOL :D

Restart your computer and as soon as it starts to boot up hold down the 'Delete' button. This will take you into your BIOS From there check to see if your optical drives are recognised.

Please make sure that you don't change anything in the BIOS as this could seriously affect your PC. Just click on 'Esc' when you are finished and choose 'Exit without saving changes' and then your pc will boot up as normal.

open up the case. Then find the cd drive and then check if the IDE (usually gray, quite wide) is correctly connected. U could also pull it out and then put it back in.

Back
Top Bottom