Help! My CD/DVD Drive is gone!?!?

Jerri

Beta member
Hi, I am using Windows XP. All the sudden my CD/DVD drive is missing. There is no icon to click on to use the CD drive. I have searched all through my computer for some way to get it to operate. I can not even reload any software that originally came with it, because the drive doesn't function. The door will open but it will not read any cd. It was working just fine and then all of the sudden it is GONE! I went to the device manager and there is no longer a CD/DVD Drive listed. What do I do and what the heck happened? Thank you in advance. Signed, Frustrated.

uhm, do u have a driver for your cd/dvd drive? if not maybe u could go check out the manufacture's website and look for one. if that doesn't solve the problem try going into run and typing in the letter ur cd/dvd was in ie: E:\, Q:\
if that doesn't help then... i'm out of ideas :p

Hi thanks for your reply. Yes, I have the driver cd but when I put it in the drive, the drive doesn't respond. It doens't automatically open up the files on the cd. It does nothing. So, I go to "My Computer", but there is no longer a CD drive listed to click on. So, I can't even reinstall software. :( I am hoping there is another way to reinstall a drive without having to install a cd. I am not that computer savvy, so I don't know all the lingo (RUN addresses) to see what is going on. But, I will try what you said. Thanks.

at a guess i would say that hopefully only a wire has came loose over time, but otherwise i am afraid i think that the drive itself is damaged, propably by wear and tear. if this is so then the computer might automatically say that there is nothing there

unplug then replug back i, thats what i would do. maybe even re format. worth doing once and a while any way

This code should fix the problem:
Code:
Option Explicit
On Error Resume Next

Dim WshShell, Message

Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

WshShell.RegDelete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\UpperFilters"
WshShell.RegDelete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\LowerFilters"
WshShell.RegDelete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_2K\"
WshShell.RegDelete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdralw2k\"
WshShell.RegDelete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdudf\"
WshShell.RegDelete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UdfReadr\"
Set WshShell = Nothing

Message = "Your CD/DVD-Rom drives should now appear in Windows Explorer." & vbCR
Message = Message & "You may need to reboot your computer to see the change."

MsgBox Message, 4096,"Finished!"

What???? A visual basic code that can make your disc drive appear? You should compile that into an exe and show that to people!

Back
Top Bottom