Intel P4 550 3.4

dmar713

Beta member
hello all,

I have a Intel P4 550 3.4 Prescott on an Intel board. all stock No overclocking. And I am a small time gamer. Nothing major. EverquestII on ocasion is the most I do.

No with that said. my processor temp is about 59 C degrees running idle. Jumps up to about 70 under load. Kinda HOT don't you thing. I am an ameatur at all of this and this was my first build. Suggestions on cooling this thing down. if you need more information I will provide. I just want some help. Thanks a bunch for sharing the Know how to us little people.

--Dew

What are the rest of your specs? Did you do a custom build? It might bad tempertare readings... where are you getting these temps? If they're valid, I would suggest getting a better heatsink, and make sure, when you change heatsinks, to wipe the old thermal paste off... with 99% isopropyl...

Do you got lots of fans inside? is their any thing blocking the vents, if its a desktop just take one of the sides off and maybe put a fan right bye the comp and turn the fan to low for normal computer use and turn it to high when youre gaming i dont know...

I would say that you could use some new thermal paste, and I would recommend AS5. The stock heatsink should be more than enough for the processor. Case airflow would be nice to know too - how many additional fans, if any? The temperatures are a little higher than what they should be - and adjusting airflow and/or applying better thermal paste would most likely be enough to get them down into a more comfortable range. The temperatures of a Prescott are always higher than what the average user is used to seeing, but those are slightly higher than what they should be.

my intel board red the temps pretty much the same yours did, wrong. mine said about 72C when i was playin games and about 45-50c on everything else, and it would jump alot 2, does yours bounce around alot or gradually rise? because that sounds like bad readings like mine had been.

Ok maybe this will be a better description of what I have:

Intel Pentium 4 550 Prescott 800MHz FSB LGA 775 Processor
Intel BOXD915GUXLK Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 915G Micro ATX Intel
Motherboard
Western Digital Raptor WD740GDRTL 74GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard
Drive
pqi TURBO 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 533 (PC2 4200)
Microsoft Optical Desktop Elite for Bluetooth M54-00013 2-Tone USB
Standard
PLEXTOR 16X DVD±R DVD Burner Beige IDE Model PX-716A/SW
XFX GeForce 6800 256MB DDR3 DUAL DVI PCI-E
Raidmax Scoripio 868 Case

the temp readings I am getting from the INTEL analysis software that came with it. And Yes the spike up and break the threshold and I get a warning message. But on average that is what they run ( reportable). And as far as fans there are 2 in the back of the case and one of the side. But In order to cool the case/ processor. I have removed the side panal and placed a fan to blow on it constantly.... but still the high temps. I hate to see what they would be if I didn't have the fan blowing on it with the side off of the case.

Suggestions???? Questions????

What processor could I use that would be better/Cooler and be comparable to this one?
I am sure there are better vidio cards out there too.

This machine is about 1 year old now. I guess its time to shoot it and put it down. But it was my first attempt at building my own pc.

Bad Temp reading??? What should I use to get the correct temp?? This machine warms up the room on a cold winter day lol.

dmar713 said:
Ok maybe this will be a better description of what I have:

Intel Pentium 4 550 Prescott 800MHz FSB LGA 775 Processor
Intel BOXD915GUXLK Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 915G Micro ATX Intel
Motherboard
Western Digital Raptor WD740GDRTL 74GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard
Drive
pqi TURBO 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 533 (PC2 4200)
Microsoft Optical Desktop Elite for Bluetooth M54-00013 2-Tone USB
Standard
PLEXTOR 16X DVD±R DVD Burner Beige IDE Model PX-716A/SW
XFX GeForce 6800 256MB DDR3 DUAL DVI PCI-E
Raidmax Scoripio 868 Case

the temp readings I am getting from the INTEL analysis software that came with it. And Yes the spike up and break the threshold and I get a warning message. But on average that is what they run ( reportable). And as far as fans there are 2 in the back of the case and one of the side. But In order to cool the case/ processor. I have removed the side panal and placed a fan to blow on it constantly.... but still the high temps. I hate to see what they would be if I didn't have the fan blowing on it with the side off of the case.

Suggestions???? Questions????

What processor could I use that would be better/Cooler and be comparable to this one?
I am sure there are better vidio cards out there too.

This machine is about 1 year old now. I guess its time to shoot it and put it down. But it was my first attempt at building my own pc.

Bad Temp reading??? What should I use to get the correct temp?? This machine warms up the room on a cold winter day lol.

As you have shown that you are making use of Socket T (LGA775) - I would urge you to recheck the mounting of your heatsink. Sometimes it doesn't make good/proper contact and this will result in the high temperatures (Or oftentimes, an inability to boot properly).

There are better video cards - but I really wouldn't be too concerned about upgrading at the moment unless you really wanted to. With that said, the 7xxx line has some cheap GTs that are likely to give you a slight performance boost if you find that you cannot wait.

A Pentium 4 runs hotter than what you may be used to seeing - I run at around 40C idle and get to about 55C under full load, which feels too hot for me personally, but these are rather normal temperatures for a P4. You should aim for a window similar to this one - and one reason for your high temperatures may be bad heatsink/CPU contact - I had the problem a few times while trying to get the heatsink to mount properly. You shouldn't have any issues keeping the temperatures within a reasonable area. (P4 reasonable - not AMD64 reasonable - we can't compare their average temperatures)

well if u ask me that definatly sounds like bad readings. my computer acted the same way when i had my intel desktop board (d915GAV) they bounced around alot and i'd get messages 2 with my software. but now i am using an asus, as u can see in my sig, and i got temps of 96F right now on both the mobo and the processor. before with my crappy intel board i was getting 127F for the processor in bios on idle and 111F for my mobo, so yea i don't like intel boards. i guess u could try the moneyless troubleshooting and try making sure it 's mounted right. if that doesn't help and u have some airflow then i would recommend returning ur mobo and getting a new 1.... i know that sounds annoying but it's well worth it, for temps like i have now i am soo glad i returned my motherboard. plus i got an ati chipset ^_^

Back
Top Bottom