Just a quick opinion...

joxley1990

Golden Master
Hey, well my friend has just bought a computer over, for me to put XP on it...

so im like yeah sure...

but specs are worrying me

597MHz processor, 512MB RAM - do you think it will handle it, and not bo slow, if i switch off visual and all that? He cant afford to have too much delay when opening programs..

yea it should run fine..it does have enough memory..and the processor should handle it...its not gunna be the fastest thing in the world but it will woek...and yea turn that visual crap off

Yeah I think pinky4life623 is right.
The 512MB of RAM is definitely enough to be running some programs at once and so shouldn't be that much of a problem.

The processor though is pushing it a bit, but Windows XP is built to be a bit faster than other Windows Operating Systems, and so, you might get a slight speed boost from Windows 98, etc that it may have been running before.

There are alot of changes to be made to if you look for XP tweaks on the net that if your careful, can turn off processes to free RAM and processing power that you may not need.
Just make sure you be careful what you turn off, and leave them on if your unsure at all.

yea a place where i worked had windows xp on 600mhz with only 256 mb of ram and it ran.

Did it run ok, I mean how fast could it log on, and how slow was the delay in opening programs?

XP is only worthwhile on a 1ghz+ systems if you ask me.

My uncles 800mhz will run windows 2000 faster than xp (and thats with the visual junk in XP disabled).

So I suggest you install 2k on that thing, will work just fine and wont lag to death either.

heh, well, that XP you have, is it a legit copy you own and are using on a system already? also, is it home, pro, or corporate edition?

XP though should run efficently on lower spec computers. Its alot cleaner than the earlier versions, and so should run faster.

I've seen very low spec computers running it.

I expect also that programs will open up fine. That 512MB of RAM (though don't know the exact speed) should have some oomph in it to quite alot of programs for fast loading, though its not just the RAM.

That processor on the latest software will stop some running efficently, but it won't be XP's fault its not.

Back
Top Bottom