Shared Folders

G9

Daemon Poster
Explain exactly what shared folders are and what they do.

Also post pros and cons.

In conclusion, will I bump into any problems if I share a large folder?

a shared folder is a folder that you set to be shared on your computer, you can put security on it through your computer, and you can make accessable from any amount of computers you want. a shared folder can be accessed from another computer by going through the "my network places" feature on windows, and typing in the address. \\server\location. shared folders are convenient for many things, such as memos in an office, or anything that you could think of. the only problem that you would run into with large folder sharing, is transfer speed from one comp to another.

What I'm talking about here is not transferring an entire folder from one computer to another, but rather transferring single or multiple files from that folder.

Can you decide which computers connected to the network see this folder?

yes you can decide basically anything, you can put 11 files in there, choose 3 computers that want 4 of the files, 4 computers that want 3 of the files, and 9 computers that want the rest, and vise versa, if you look at a folder on your desktop, how you can access it and manage all the files in it, it will be the same way with a shared folder.

well your not really going to have the speed that you from folder to folder on your computer, because it is going to be over a cat5 cable. the reason why things can trasfer so fast from folder to folder, folder to desktop, is because it is basically just moving things around on the hard drive, its not actually even leaving its initial launch place. what i mean by transfer speeds, is how fast the information will travel over the cable connecting your computers on the network.

Back
Top Bottom