Legalize Weed & Drinking Age to 16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im all for the leglazation of marijuana, i really dont care if it would result in less people using it. I just dont get how we have things like alcohol (sp) and cigs legal, which kill hundreds of thousands every year, and yet we wont legalize marijuana which has never been proven to be a cause of death.

Ok Murder rate in American 18,000 guns alone
Murder rate In Germany 197. No 0s after that. Germany is a 1/3 of the size of the states lets add 3 numbers to make the math easy 600 to 18,000 does that compare???

Legalizing only makes it easier to get. It wont make anything go down.. I mean sure.. They could get high so much it hurts, and then they stop using it. And get high off another drug.

Because it's called the gateway drug for a reason.

And if that doesn't work then they get tired of it.. And a whole new generation does it. And the process repeats..

It'd be harder to get if anything else. Because you'd have to go the store to buy it. I assume you've never tried to get anything by your comments. Making it legal don't make it any easier to get if anything harder. because a store won't drop by your house.

I also think a lot more needs to be done to keep the legal drinking age of 18 here, if not put to 21. It's also way too easy to get alcohol these days, people don't realize how much it takes control of your senses, and teenagers think it's "cool" or "rebellious" to go out at the age of 14 and get themselves absolutely mashed when they can't handle a few pints of lager. I'm all 100% for people, at the age of 16 and up, smoking weed and drinking at HOME, under the eye of a responsible adult. That way the drinking and drug taking doesn't taken onto the streets, and people have less chance of getting hurt. After all, the most important thing when it comes to drink and drug taking is to learn your own limits, learn when you've taken enough or too much. It's much better than going out on your 18th and drinking too much because you don't know when you've had too much, possibly resulting in having your stomach pumped and a severe hangover in the morning. The law on weed here, I think is about right. Most of the police around here don't care if you have any on you, as long as it is a small amount and you're not intending to sell it on. It is the same at a few good festivals too. You can smoke up right in front of security or a police officer, and they won't do a thing. If you're high as a kite you're a lot less likely to go around in an angry mob kicking the turd out of people like some people might do with heavy drinking.

I said 16 not 14 and who said getting mashed they already doing it. Its not like we preventing anything here and I refer to Germany, Holland and such England IDK nothing about England I consider England when I say euro I refer countries like Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy France, Spain etc, etc. Legalize of to 16 SHOULD BE DONE WORLD WIDE INCUDLING WEED. Why I highly doubt anyone arguing on this or at least a select few have ever tried weed. I have I used to be huge on it haven't done it in 6 months mainly because I don't like it anymore. But why did I do it? Why did my friends do it? who are now of course on harder drugs such as meth and so fourth. The excitement basically it was fun to try and sneak it knowing really it wasn't to big of a deal. But if you would of talked to them before they did it they'd never touch crack, meth, X what be it. But the excitement of doing something illegal that you really don't get in all that much trouble was great. That way I think really everyone has some reason in that for starting. Also I believe it was said 50% of the criminals that commit crimes are in for non-violent drug related offenses. 50% of that is for weed! WEED! We have problems with letting murders and rappers on the street because they didn't have a cell yet we lock up a pot head for lil dope on the second. Having weed is such a minor DRUG. Also weed is safer then alcohol I point you to following links

http://txfx.net/2005/06/07/sean-hannity-on-marijuana-vs-alcohol/

Anyway, someone invariably brought up the alcohol vs. marijuana angle. I leaned forward in glee, awaiting to see just how the Baby Jesus was going to get out of this one. After all, marijuana is non-toxic, alcohol is toxic. Not a single soul has ever died of marijuana overdose, but thousands die yearly from alcohol poisoning. How was Sean going to respond?

http://www.taima.org/en/drug.htm

Marijuana is often called a "soft drug" because it is far less dangerous than heroin, cocaine or "speed", the substances that most people think of when they hear the word "drug". Many drugs experts consider marijuana less harmful to your health than alcohol and tobacco. According to these scientists, cannabis is about as addictive as coffee.

We are talking COFFEE! That's like soda. I love me soda, but I could go cold turkey from my morning soda anytime.

Also my points I've experienced weed and drinking and both at the same time so I have room to talk. You smoke weed you don't want to give up and drive a car go fight somebody or anything. If anything you just want one more. Also no ONE and I SAY NO ONE VERY CONFIDENTLY has died as a direct result of ODing on weed. Overdose meaning to much at one time. And trust me you can't you'd FALL ASLEEP not pass out, not throw up before you fall asleep just fall asleep. Also Alcohol I've seen people nearly die from this. Drinking to much I've come close once as well ebfore I knew what I could handle safely. But also when I drink I want to do things I want to go walk 60 Kms in -10 weather well its snowing (Hasn't happened but I had to stop a friend from doing it) but see WEED IS SAFER THEN ALCOHOL. And even though smoking weed h as rally no health affects posivte wise it does clam you down and relax you. A glass of wine helps you your heat and such and what not but not seriously. So this is why they should legalize EVERYTHING AT 16. Because we are already doing it widespread. I know very few kids my age who haven't been drunk and high. Its estimated that 75% of American teens have smoked weed. 20% of which continue to smoke for ua period of time. Less then 2.0% of the population does anything or have tried anything harder then weed. Ok we talking 75% of everyone smoking weed under the age of 19. 2% of which go to harder drugs. The figures on the harder drug scale ARE SO LOW its not funny. I long time potheads who would never touch a crack pipe in their life. But weed should be legal, smoking should be legal, and drinking (at least beer and wine and anything under 30%) at the age of 16.

Lowering the drinking age ain't going to make to much difference, kids are going to drink anyway weather there old enough or not. The only difference with lowering the age would be to put them in bars earlier and have them fight in there cause there probably not mature enough to keep there mouths shut.

That statement isn't true, they'd mature faster trust me. Only ones would fight that would normally fight. I see very few fights in th e bars here. Espeically the younger scence. I mean sure if oyu go to a nazi bar or somthing they fight a lot. But then aganin they'd fight sober or drunk.

16?!?!?, you must be crazy. Thats somthing a DUMB and IMMATURE kid would say. It would definatly rasie the amount of drugs kids do, i know PLENTY of people that dont do that stuff just from fear of getting arrested. Ive never been drunk or high, and im proud of it. Weed and alcohol do couse people to get into harder drugs, it may not happend alot, but my brother is a prime example. Weed does make people act abnormaly and disorderly, i dont want idiot 16 year old KIDS walking around my neighborhood acting like complete fools. Im not saying it would go as far as to what happend to the people in the the book the Euphio Question, but its still wouldent help society. Weed would also would be sold much more, which would lead to more drug related killings. Alcohol is another story thats much more personal to me, because ive had an uncle and grampa die from bad livers from alcohol. Without alcohol, the world would be much better off. But i think people should take more responsiblity on how much they drink. I think 21 as a drinking age is fine, but i wouldent be suprise if weed becomes legal in America soon.

MEEEH! i drink in my house .. thats perfectaly legal .. as long as your parents agree

No its not legal. Its perfectly ILLEGAL. And drinking age at 21 is to high. It creates more problems then it sovies simple fact.

Also united states is the only COUNTRY to have a drinking age of 21. The next in line is japan at 20. Most countries are 16 to 18.

/me points to http://www.indiana.edu/~engs/articles/react.html

Researchers have found that telling persons not to do something often produces the opposite reaction. People value their sense of freedom and autonomy and like to project an image of self-control (1). Reactance theory suggests that, whenever people believe their freedom either has or will be unjustly threatened, they enter into a reactance motivational state and act to regain control by not complying (3). Coercion, in particular, leads to the arousal of reactance, which in turn tends to reduce compliance (6). The theory has been tested in a variety of ways, including restroom graffiti (17), petition signing (13), group coercion (11), reading speeches aloud (24), evaluation of illegal detergents (15), attraction to members of the opposite sex (16), attitude change (23), and impression formation (5).

Nik00117 said:
I said 16 not 14 and who said getting mashed they already doing it. Its not like we preventing anything here and I refer to Germany, Holland and such England IDK nothing about England I consider England when I say euro I refer countries like Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy France, Spain etc, etc. Legalize of to 16 SHOULD BE DONE WORLD WIDE INCUDLING WEED. Why I highly doubt anyone arguing on this or at least a select few have ever tried weed. I have I used to be huge on it haven't done it in 6 months mainly because I don't like it anymore. But why did I do it? Why did my friends do it? who are now of course on harder drugs such as meth and so fourth. The excitement basically it was fun to try and sneak it knowing really it wasn't to big of a deal. But if you would of talked to them before they did it they'd never touch crack, meth, X what be it. But the excitement of doing something illegal that you really don't get in all that much trouble was great. That way I think really everyone has some reason in that for starting. Also I believe it was said 50% of the criminals that commit crimes are in for non-violent drug related offenses. 50% of that is for weed! WEED! We have problems with letting murders and rappers on the street because they didn't have a cell yet we lock up a pot head for lil dope on the second. Having weed is such a minor DRUG.

I'm fully aware that you said 16, I was just using 14 as an example because that's what we usually get over here in England. You may have "room to talk" because you've done weed. So have I, and still do if the occasion is right. What you say about weed is correct, but you floored yourself by highlighting the fact that afterall, it IS a DRUG. It should stay illegal, or at least until a hell of a lot more research into its side effects has taken place. You might just think weed is relatively harmless, but how do you know when such a small amount of research has been done on it? Over here, it has only very recently been linked with mental problems, a number of things could also be linked with it in the near future. The chances of it fully being made legal to even 18 year olds, is extremely small. Once an 18 year old can get it, so can someone who's a lot younger if they know the right people.

As for drink, judging by the 16 year olds in this country, I certainly wouldn't allow them to drink legally on the streets. There are a select few I know who could possibly be responsible enough for it, and I'm sure over there it's the same. However, just because you or whoever are responsible with it, it doesn't mean that the rest of the USA, or the UK for that matter, is.

Well not many studies have been made. But thats mainly because its illegal to study. So its kinda like in the 30s you could get a licease to own and sell crack. However then again to get it you'd need the crack to prove you have access to such a drug. Then you'd be arrested because you weren't allowed to own crack yet, even though you had to present it to the judge

So we could study and I mean just by the pure mass of poeple that have USED IT. I mean did we conduct a study to legalize cigs, or alcohol?

Im very suprised that this hasnt been clsoed down as for the question I HATE PEOPLE WHO SMOKE POT AND I HATE PEOPLE WHO DRINK ALCOHOL if this is any of you i mean no offense :),im sorry, any who they shouldnt make it legal keep it illegal duh lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom