Poll: Have you ever tried linux?

rusbo.uk said:
Have tried linuix, however its a waste of time.

for people like you maybe, but the majority of businesses around the world have made it their standard operating system. If you are ever going into business management, computer science, computer engineering, the only operating system you will use to learn will be on a linux machine.

Natalya said:
my fav linux distro is suse ive also tried fedora code 4, knoppix, Damn Small Linux, and ubuntu

Ah yeah SuSE is nice...I might install it again. But SuSE does not have the program compatibility Ubuntu and Kubuntu do...Using Automatix and considering its the most highly used linux distro as of not too long ago.

rusbo.uk said:
Have tried linuix, however its a waste of time.

Hmm, matter of opinion...the only reason you say it is a waste of time is because you were probably having too many problems with it..and because you had always used Windows or Mac. What distro did you try out?

I've tried out...
Fedora Core 4
Gentoo
SuSE 10.0
Ubuntu 5.10 - Favorite.
Kubuntu 6.10 Dapper Beta

Natalya...you say you are a Unix Chick...but what OS do you actually use that is Unix?

Yeah, I've tried Fedora Core 4. I had installed it on an old Gateway I have and was using it for a couple weeks. Well, I say "using" it but I don't know anything about it and to be honest, I don't have the patience to learn a whole new operating system. Plus, I couldn't get it to interact with my other two XP pc's on my network. Granted, it was free, the pc was free and I had read an article in one of my pc magazines about experimenting with Linux on an old pc, which is what made me do it.
I gave up on it, I'm too used to my Windows XP. I would turn the Linux pc on and it would boot up and all and then I would think, "what now?". About all I did with it was browse the net, I can do that on my XP pc's.
I just need to learn about it....maybe I'll work up the gumption someday and learn.

Im running linux suse, on a slave drive on my 98 machine. I dont really wanna put it in somthing nice, until i learn the roots of linux.

I used Red Hat a while back on a box partitoned with Win2000. I've always wanted to make a permanent move but most of the software I live and work with hasn't appeared in Linux versions yet.

When... oh when... :confused:

Flipper said:
Natalya...you say you are a Unix Chick...but what OS do you actually use that is Unix?

admin of unix servers at work, love it! pure unix command line

and i use linux too, my main computer at home for everyday use is a windows machine, but i recently bought a mac which im slowly starting to learn! =)

Back
Top Bottom