Data recovery...

mark thorpe

Golden Master
okay my laptops screwed... had to reinstall xp, now my 'my documents' folder is empty, is there any way of getting the data back? i only reinstalled xp, ive had to do this before, and the files have still been there... ive spent the last 3 weeks doing this work, and i dont wanna do it again... any help will be gratefull
Mark.

no way unless you need to send to hd repair to do it for you but very expensive

you got about 40% to recovery because you already use your hd ( new file overwrited delete file)

good lucks

go to C:\Documents and Settings ... look for the folder of your old user account (before the reinstall), click it, click "my documents" ... WARNING: This will only work if you did not format the hdd

You can try using File Scavenger 3.0, I have used it to successfully recover data when from a USB stick after pulling it out by mistake and not using the eject hardware thingy. Of course you have reinstalled XP, and if you formated the hard drive then the risks increase that you will have the data overwritten.

This risk increases as time goes on....

Try restoration. When you reformat windows, windows shows the drive as being empty, and just overwrites the files, thats how you can get it back.

if you did a clean install of XP.. odds are it formatted the hard drive... in which case I don't see how you could get them back..

Always, when you do things like that, you should back up any important documents that you need to keep just in case something does happen and they aren't there anymore.

i didnt have much choice about reinstalling it, my laptop completley died on me... ill try the file scavanger glasseye said about, thanks for the input guys

i know theres nto much chance of getting it back, but i could do without loosing 3/4 weeks work...

Back
Top Bottom