problem... any tips?

mark thorpe

Golden Master
My laptop refuses to boot XP, its saying that one of the .dll is possibly corrupt. anyway, onto the question, it boots fedora fine, is there a way to get my files off the puter onto a backup disk through fedora, from windows? thanks for any help anyone can give... ive never had this problem before, its weird...

i had the same problem with my hp. so did you just install windows xp and its refusing to boot? Or it just started not booting all together? the hardware in laptops is idiotic and you may need to use the startup disks that came with the laptop in order to get any os on it, i tried for a couple hours to get xp media on my laptop, but no luck, some of them only like to accept whats home to them, even if it is xp home /:

xguynameddavex said:
i had the same problem with my hp. so did you just install windows xp and its refusing to boot? Or it just started not booting all together? the hardware in laptops is idiotic and you may need to use the startup disks that came with the laptop in order to get any os on it, i tried for a couple hours to get xp media on my laptop, but no luck, some of them only like to accept whats home to them, even if it is xp home /:
ive had xp on my laptop for about 2 years, fedora about a year. i kinda destroyed xp when i put the fedora on there, but i reinstalled, and it was fine. untill just after lunch today, it was fine before lunch, working as normal. then when i came to reboot after lunch the xp screen with the green bar came up, and stayed up for about 10 mins, then i got a blue screen and this:

STOP: c0000221{Bad Image Checksum}
The image SHDOCVW.dll is possibly corrupt. The header checksum does not match the computed checksup.

yeah, my laptops screwed... i know ill need to reinstall xp, but i really dont want to loose all my files, ive got alot of college work on there, and i could do without loosing it... i can get into FC3 no problems, is there any way to access my C drive from there and burn the files i need onto a CD?

thanks for the help... and sorry i didnt put in much detail earlier, i was supposed to be doing a production plan for the mallet ive just made...

p.s. internet access at airports sucks... 10p a minuite!! :(

have you tried a 98 start up disk to partition your hd? what you could do is partition your hard drive into two parts, one with all your needed data, and in the other just leave the windows components, that way all you will have to do is reformat one partition with the windows components and reinstall windows on just that partition, i know it might be a hassle pulling all your files onto the data partition, but that sounds like thats what your going to do. im not that familiar with fadora, does that have a gui that you can just access the different partitions of your hard drive? if so you could just create the partition, and pull em out in the gui.

take it to a computer reapir shop. They will then take it apart taking out the harddrive. From here they will pace the harddrive into a external enclouser (USB) they will take that enclosure to a "shop box" (a shop computer) from here you will be able to view it as a removable drive giving you access to everything.

Back
Top Bottom