Dialog Box...

Toby1

Daemon Poster
Dialog Box

Okay, so, on one of the other public library computers, directly after the Windows XP load up screen, a dialog box comes up and says "I own this computer, you suck.". You can then get to the login screen by pressing ok. I'm pretty sure some kids got on there and downloaded a program that would do things of that nature, cause' I doubt any of them would be smart enough to do something like that through Visual Basic or whatever.

Is there anyway to get rid of it? It's annoying.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Toby.

EDIT: I checked the control panel of the computer in question, and someone has created and extra Admin account on there, and it is password protected, cheeky fuckers.

Toby said:
Okay, so, on one of the public library computers (my mum works at the library), directly after the Windows XP load up screen, a dialog box comes up and says "I own this computer, you suck.". You can then get to the login screen by pressing ok. I'm pretty sure some kids got on there and downloaded a program that would do things of that nature, cause' I doubt any of them would be smart enough to do something like that through Visual Basic or whatever.

Is there anyway to get rid of it? It's annoying.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Toby.
Simply tell your mum, she'll see that it's put right, daft kids do this sort of thing, in my library too, I just reported it to one of the staff, & they deleted what ever was on there, while I watched, I'm sure your mum will be pleased you told her....gold star time, I bet! :D

Not quite, lol.

PS: How come my title didn't change? I went in and edited it... no change, until you open the thread fully. Like in the "New Posts" section it says "Dialog Box..." still, but as soon as you open the thread the new title is there "Public Net Computers..."

Toby said:
Well, I have, so it'll get sorted eventually.
Thanks a lot,Toby, a very last point, would you remove "nothing gets past this", then it's perfect, a five liner, :D er, that's an awesome rig by the way!!, I have an AMD Duron 1800, but it's sufficent for what I need.

open control pannel
open administrative tools.
open local security policies
open the key local policies then security options.

now scroll down the list until you find:
Interactive Logon: message text for users attempting to logon...

you should find the offensive text in here, just delete it...

Now...
Properly lock down public access computers with admin accounts and user accounts with different privellages. you can set the privellages in the local security settings, and in the local users and groups option. (note that local users and groups is an mmc snapin that appears when you right click my computer and select manage... not the user management section of the control pannel that is dumbed down in windows XP)...

trust me, an extra five minutes spent setting good security can save you an extra few hours of undoing other peoples nasty work.

Back
Top Bottom