AMD Dethrowned. Intel Steps up.

Anandtech.com said:
Intel is very excited about its new Core architecture, especially with Conroe on the desktop. It's not really news to anyone that Intel hasn't had the desktop performance crown for years now; its Pentium 4 and Pentium D processors run hotter and offer competitive or lower performance than their AMD competitors. With Conroe, Intel hopes to change all of that.

Intel setup two identical systems: in one corner, an Athlon 64 FX-60 overclocked to 2.8GHz running on a DFI RD480 motherboard. And in the other corner, a Conroe running at 2.66GHz (1067MHz FSB) on an Intel 975X motherboard.

The AMD system used 1GB of DDR400 running at 2-2-2/1T timings, while the Intel system used 1GB of DDR2-667 running at 4-4-4. Both systems had a pair of Radeon X1900 XTs running in CrossFire and as far as we could tell, the drivers and the rest of the system setup was identical. They had a handful of benchmarks preloaded that we ran ourselves, the results of those benchmarks are on the following pages. Tomorrow we'll be able to go into great depth on the architecture of Conroe, but for now enjoy the benchmarks.

As far as we could tell, there was nothing fishy going on with the benchmarks or the install. Both systems were clean and used the latest versions of all of the drivers (the ATI graphics driver was modified to recognize the Conroe CPU but that driver was loaded on both AMD and Intel systems).

Intel told us to expect an average performance advantage of around 20% across all benchmarks, some will obviously be higher and some will be lower. Honestly it doesn't make sense for Intel to rig anything here since we'll be able to test it ourselves in a handful of months. We won't say it's impossible as anything can happen, but we couldn't find anything suspicious about the setups.

The setup was provided by Intel, but everyone saw everything go on, so it wouldn't make sense that Intel would somehow "rig" it. Oh and Anandtech was at IDF...so were the people from X-Bit Labs. If they saw this, then it's probably not rigged. It would be pretty stupid if Intel did that, and it would be just dumb if Anandtech lied.

Either way, the fact is that Intel definately won't let AMD just push them aside. You can definately tell by the complete revamping of almost everything. As far as who's the "Champion", only time will tell.

ownage said:
I know drivers matter, but they used the same drivers, on the same OS. So its fair ground. Cn'Q will only affect overclocking, i dont see why itll affect performance on such a grand scale.

It wouldn't show on a grand scale, but it is hindering the processor a great deal!

Even if you dont think Conroe does that well, look at the benchmarks for FEAR on anandtech. It shows that Conroe actually does do better. To be honest, an unlocked processor isnt going to do anything. Sure the clock speed can be raised, but they said it was at 2.8Ghz. So thats actually 200x14 or 233x12. Either way its 2.8Ghz. The 233x12 will yield higher performance, so i dont understand the need for an unlocked multiplier.

Take a look at this:

conroe.png

Look at the Intel's AMD FX-60 system.

Now look at this:

lq-fear.png

If you look carefully, you'll realize that the Intel's benchmarks have lower stats than the bit-tech benchmarks.

You'll also realize that the FX-60's stats are horrid on lower resolutions, but are much better at higher resolutions.

Why do you think Intel only ran FEAR at 640x480?

In both of those pictures it says, "Bit-Tech.net in the corner. Why is that? :confused:

Also, the Conroe will be an amazing processor, despite what people may say or critisize it for. It will be better then almost all of AMD's processors, if not all of them. Intel may take the lead, just accept that as a possiblity folks.

BE WARNED! SHOULD AN ARGUEMENT ARISE I WILL NOT HESITATE TO WARN A MODERATOR!

well, think about it, everytime you run 3DMark, do you always get the same score? Probably not, is it close? sure. But the thing is, i have overclocked to a point where sometimes my performance degrades. It just happens. Only time will tell when Anandtech and X-bit Labs benchmark the ESs.

ownage said:
well, think about it, everytime you run 3DMark, do you always get the same score? Probably not, is it close? sure. But the thing is, i have overclocked to a point where sometimes my performance degrades. It just happens. Only time will tell when Anandtech and X-bit Labs benchmark the ESs.

Tis true.

You score on benchmarks changes nearly everytime you run it. So it's no surprise that the FX-60 wasn't as far ahead in this test as oppossed to the last test. I think that the benchmarks are fair and legitimate. I definetly think it's accurate and think that the Conroe will be better then the FX-60. It's just a matter of time before Intel designs a better processor. AMD won't be on top forever, and neither will Intel. :)

AnandTech did the tests themselves both times. Intel prepared the PCs, but AnandTech ran the tests themselves. In either case, the Conroe can outperform the highest, most expensive, and ultimatly best processor, that AMD has. And this isn't even the Extreme Edition model! :D

JustinMcG67 said:
And this isn't even the Extreme Edition model! :D

That's what impresses me the most. The fact that there will be a 2.8 AND a 3.0 GHz version released as well. Geez, maybe intel is going to be the new dominating force for gaming rather than AMD for a change.

Back
Top Bottom