Advice on new gaming rig

The Amish Kid wrote - In my opinion just wait a few more months for AMD's new socket to come out. If you dont want to wait though that is a very nice computer.

What will this mean to adding future upgrades on the proposed rig? Heard about this change, but really don't understand it.

======================================================
Jamxx wrote - That PC will serve you well for a while yet. Looks great to me! One thing: that video card comes in a 512 MB version, which might suit you better. However, I think you'd have to have two 512 MB's to SLi, if you want to.

Thought this was one item that would serve me well for a while, until I need to upgrade, then I would add a matching 256 MB card and utilize the SLI (don't really understand what I just wrote....thought I remember reading it somewhere).

=======================================================
Dev0115 wrote - Wait no one said anything about him only having 70gb's of space. 2 raptors each 36.7 dont you think you should get like another storage drive around 160 or more?

Jamxx Good wrote - Good point Dev, I didn't even notice that. What I would do is throw those in RAID 0, and get a storage drive for other stuff! Put your OS on the storage drive, and throw your games on those Raptors! Just watch your loadings times FLY!

Again, thought I could start with the fast drives, then add another drive when I need it.

=========================================================
allenn812 wrote - I would also wait, direct x 10 and shader model 4 game are comming out soon. And yer video card you choose doesnt support it. Wait till june, and get th nvidia G80.

Jamxx wrote - Is that when the 7900 series is coming out? Because I don't think the 7900's are supporting Direct X 10 or Shader Model 4 either.

OK, you guys lost me....have enough problems learning about the current gear. Shouldn't I expect that when those come out, there will be some news about another 'gotta have' thing out in 6 more months, or if this is a major shift, then please let me know.

=========================================================
PerfectSK wrote - I dont think that you DEF have to buy the FX-60. There are plenty of good gaming processors out there that are cheaper. With the money you save from choosing a different processor, you could spend on watercooling, and overclock another processor!

Dev0115 wrote - Uh ok but as of now the fx-60 is the best core out. He has no budget frrom the looks of it. Also he is not buildiing it him self if you read his post. Therfor he wont be able to get a good water cooling systems most companys do not offer a good water cooling system just a basic one to the cpu. So i would still go with the fx-60 core if you the the money to dish out. Another thing if he's buying it from a companny the bios most likely will be locked disabling him from being able to overclock!!! So the the fx-60 to me the your best bet.

I won't say there is no budget. Wifey set it a $2500, so at about $2900 for above system, I'm already screwed. I didn't think the processor was something I should save money on, considering I plan to have this system for a while. If I could bring the price down by $300 or so, I'd love to, but think I have what I need for current/near future demands, and plenty of room for upgrade.

Basically, if you had a $2500 gift card for a fully assembled pc, what would you do differently?

On the bios, I'm buying from buyxg.com. Any idea if they lock it?

Thanks for the advise everyone.

No, best way to check is just t flat out ask them if they do or not. You kept saying you will upgrade later when you need it, but the processor is on thing you wont be able to upgrade most likely they will be on a different socket the fx is 939 and the new AM2's will prooly be different. You might want to wait for the 7900 card to drop and then buy your pc..Because right now its just waiting to be released and if you dont want to dish out the cash for thr 7900 once that releases it should take the 7800's price down which you said you do want to save some money. Right now i think your best bet is to wait for the Am2 processors to launch they are some wat the future of gaming and processing. If you can wait then you should go with the Amd Fx-60 for sure thats the best out right now..

I think only major companies like Dell, H.P., Emachines lock their BIOS's.

What I mean with the new socket though is that the FX-60 is the last processor they are making for socket 939. When socket AM2(AMD's new socket) comes out they will only be making new processors for that. This means that you will't be able to upgrade that part of your computer. But that processor will last a very long time though.

Wont it be different sockets though for AM2? so if he gets a fx-60 he cant get am2 without getting a new mobo rite

Overall, that computer is great. If you dont want to wait for all the new cards (7900) and processors (Am2) then go for it. That comp should own anything you try to run on it!

I would wait a few months, and get a socket AM2 cpu. You wont have to upgrade nearly as fast as you would if you got the fx-60, and FORGET about the 7900. It doesnt support direct x 10, and shadel model 4. Wait for the G80 in june, and youll be set for a while.
Both going from socket 939 to AM2 and 7900 to G80 are huge upgrade. Getting a 7900 will be TOTALLY pointless. Anyways, if you want your comp to last ALOT longer, get a socket AM2 cpu and the nvidia G80.

To do this your computer price willl def go way up...and also you are going to have to wait some time :(

Dev, you answered my next question.

I won't be able to wait 'til after the summer for this. Plus my budget will be about the same, so don't see that the benefit is worth the wait.

I'd probably have to sacrifice RAM or slower HD's to afford the suggested upgrades.

I'm torn.

Yeah most likely all the new cards and Am2 processor will be up there in price, so i dont think it wil do you good to wait since you said you cant wait to long any how. If you wait your absolutly right, your going to have to cut some other stuff such as ram ect which i dont think is worth it...The computer setup u showed us is great. It will get the job done and should own everything you throw at it...

Thanks, Dev. That's what the impulse buyer in me wanted to hear.

I'm off to Singapore at the end of the month, so I'll hold off until beginning of April for the purchase. I think I read that the new Nvidia comes out soon, but not sure how quickly the price would drop on the 7800 gtx.

It looks like I'm going with a Polywell system.

About $50 more than buyxg, but support is supposed to be excellent.

I trimmed back to 2x512 Patriot DDR 400MHZ PC3200 CL2 unbuffered memomy, to get closer to the budget.

Thinking of also cutting out the Creative Labs X-FI Platinum 24-BIT PCI Sound Card, and going with the onboard sound.

Here's the spec on the CODEC http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/products1-2.aspx?modelid=2003101.

Any idea how much I'd lose by downgrading the soudcard....will save me another $160.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom