re naming a file

terryco

Beta member
I have just had a new motherboard fitted and reinstalled windows xp. Alls ok, but if i want to rename any files, i get a message "if you change a file name extension,the file may become unusable. are you sure you want to change it". I never had this before the reinstallment, can anyone help please

As long as you change it to a file extension of a program you have i can't see it being a big problem.

Just in case save the file in a different place on your harddrive and try to change it and if it don't work then you know you have to try something else.

P.S. Welcome to the Forum

this isnt an error .. your causing it ... a file may be file1.txt ... just leave thedot (.) and any stuff after it and you wont get that message ... e.g. rename file1.txt to file2.txt and your ok

its not an erro at all, u only get this message wen u try to change the file extensions, the part after the dot (.) in ur file name. if u cant c the file extensions, go to folder options and uncheck the hide known fike extensions and u wil get all the extensions and try changing the name with out changing the part after the dot and i am sure that u wil not get this error again,

maneesh, Can you plese refer to using full grammer please?

Terryco, welcome, and hope you have no more problems.

Back
Top Bottom