Acquiring Ip Address

m4411b

Solid State Member
When I am in airports, Starbucks and other hot spots I cannot access the internet on my laptop. Keep getting acquiring ip address. Can anyone help me fix this issue. I looked at ipconfig and there is 0's for ip address and gateway.

There are zero's there, because it cannot get an IP address. If it just stays in the motion of "Obtaining IP address", it could be something wrong with the wireless NIC you have. Have you ever been able to connect to any wireless access point? Even if it can't get an IP address, it should have the Windows default of 169.xx. Could be a Winsock issue. I would first try uninstalling the NIC, and reinstalling. If that doesn't work, look for a winsock fix, and run it, couldn't hurt. If that don't fix it, could be the card itself.

if it keeps saysing aquiring IP address then it's not got an IP address yet.

do you have a firewall installed, and is this blocking communications with the DHCP server that would be assigning an IP address...

I am on Verizon DSL at home and it connects without a problem but when I am in hotels and airports I can no longer connect to wireless internet. Most airports have the wireless connections for free. It sometimes pisses me off to see other folks connected at the airport amd I am sitting getting acquiring IP address.

Ok, you say you can connect at home, but is your home connection a hardwired connection, or do you also use a wireless connection at home?

Back
Top Bottom