Intel announces new chip architecture!!!

I'd like to see what the power consumption is exactly seeing as they weren;t able to test it when they ran the gaming benchmarks. For some reason I wouldn't be surprised if AMD decides to postpone their release of the socket AM2 to add some new technology to combat intel. Or shortly after the release of AM2 they will have something very impressive to release in response to this. The reason I say this is that AMD has done it before and they can easily do it again. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Depends. There is still about 6 months before Conroe is officially released, so these benchmarks are the current Engineering Samples. AMD will have to work REALLY hard to catch up if they want to match Conroe. Even if AMD suddenly whips out some new technology or whatnot, the chip architectures will still stay the same.

The Final Words from Anandtech.com:
Anandtech.com said:
Final Words

While we're still comparing to Socket-939 and only using RD480, it does seem very unlikely that AMD would be able to make up this much of a deficit with Socket-AM2 and RD580. Especially looking at titles like F.E.A.R. where Conroe's performance advantage averages over 40%, it looks like Intel's confidence has been well placed.

Also keep in mind that we are over six months away from the actual launch of Conroe, performance can go up from where it is today. We also only looked at the 2.66GHz part, the Extreme Edition version of Conroe will most likely be clocked around 3.0GHz which will extend the performance advantage even further.

AMD still does have some time to surprise us with AM2, but from what we've seen today, they are going to have to do a lot of work to close this gap. We saw performance today in the two areas that we were most concerned about with Conroe: gaming and media encoding, and in both Intel greatly exceeded our expectations. Also remember that Conroe should be lower power than the AMD offering we compared it to, although we weren't able to measure power consumption at the wall in our brief time with the systems.

Going into IDF we expected to see a good showing from Conroe, but leaving IDF, well, now we just can't wait to have it.

More from the show as we get it...

Oh yeah, this is my 9,000th post, so go me! :D

Holy smokes! This new architecture is amazing! I just looked at that article, the one between the Conroe and the FX-60 overclocked. I can honestly say, if Conroe can put out this performance being the non-Extreme Edition, then my next build WILL be Intel. Sorry AMD, but I want the best if the money allows, and certainnly that is the Conroe.

Here's also another interesting observation. This Conroe that was tested was not the final product. We still have LOTS of time before it comes out, for all we know, this Conroe could be even better! I love how it's regular new Desktop processor can boast AMD's best top-end processors in every benchmark that was tested. Surely the Extreme Edition will be the best CPU to have ever come out.

AMD will deifnetly come out with somethign good, but hey, for the time being, my side is changing, I'm switching to Conroe technology and the Core Microarchitecture. :D

The one they benchmarked wasn't even the 3.0ghz clocked Extreme Edition. Intel is done a REALLY great job. I hope they stay that way. :D

By no means am I a fanboy of either CPU manufacturer, but I can honestly say with no bias in my opinions, that Intel is the clear winner if the Conroe can keep performing liek this. And to think, this is the ENGINEERING SAMPLE! This is not the final product!

Also, I made a thread in the CPU section in regards to this, hopefully if people would liek we could compare the FX-60 and X2 4800+ to this current Conroe processor more in-depth. If you would liek to do so please visit the Processor section and check out my new thread. :)

The Moderators can just merge this thread with the one you made in the Processors section. :D I still remember that feature too...although I never used it. :p

Well, this thread was just to announce to everyone, the other is for the people who actually want to learn about the architecture of the new processors and things that are more in-depth. They're on the same relative topic, however, they cover different material. :)

I can't wait to see the Extreme Edition of this chip. It's going to be insane. Now here comes the bad part...the price. :(

I'm sure they will do something, but as excellent as this conroe CPU is... it's gonna be out of my budget for years...

i'll end up getting a budget system, in which case AMD will take the cake on performance-price ratios... ;)

Back
Top Bottom