Open Office.org vs Microsoft Office

That's pretty sweet! Wish I could get my hands on one of those... But, at 14, I doubt I'll be able to! :D

Once you get into the computer field or if the university you go to have a partnership with Microsoft, then you'll get one. I just went on there right now and there are new software available. The Microsoft Project Professional 2003 looks good along with Visual Studio .NET Professional 2003, Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition, Virtual PC 2004, and SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition. Half of these things, I don't even know how to use. :p

you can buy your own MSDN (Microsoft Developer Network) account, it costs somewhere in the region of £1000 and that gets you every piece of microsoft software ever released.

the snag is that there are licnsing restrictions around it.

MSDN is the microsoft develper network and the software released is to be used for testing software, (that's why it's so cheap).
if you have a cpoy of VC++ or VB (etc) then you are supposed to use it for testing any new tools/toolbars/addins that you might have made.

the only exception is office, (and the other blue discs in the subscription) and they carry one regular license with each £1000 subscription.
Examples of (prohibited) production use include:

Installing Windows 98 to play games for entertainment.
Installing Windows 2000 Server and Exchange Server to set up an e-mail system that you use to send personal and/or business-related e-mail.
You may not use your MSDN Subscription as a substitute for purchasing a retail license for an operating system if you do more than develop and test on your computer.

So Alvino... whilst your intentions are good, you're actually a softwar pirate just as if you downloaded it illegally... actually since your intentions broke the end user agreement, you did download it illegally!!!

http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/faq/default.aspx#licensing

you'll also notice that in that statement it suggests that MSDN licenses are per user,
most universities have either, the achedemic alliance subscription, (like I had whilst I was at uni, when students can check certain discs out of the library, such as the visual studio disc to give them the tools they may need to develop a project. or a server OS disc to set up a testing site for a project.

or universities may have the Microsoft Select, or Campus agreements, which usually let the universities use the software (for their business purpose -educating students), and also let their staff take home a copy o the software, that they are allowed to use whilst they are employed by the university...
MSDN and MSDNAA licenses are perpetual, and hence I can use visual studio that I got from uni for non profit development for as long as I live...
yet can only use software from the uni that I work in for as long as I work there...
there is no real cheap free/easy way to get MS software, and the uni schemes are just based on getting you to use MS office rather than openoffice/star office or equivelants...

anyway...
open office, it sucks... well not really, it just doesn't conform to the ever changing MS standards, so whilst it may be able to open and save .doc docuents in MS word format, it doesn't do it exceptionally well, and sometimes things can get a little screwed up.
which is why the last place I worked at ditched it in favour of buying everyone office...
it's just no fun when a customer sends back documentation saying they can read it, because all the pages are a blue colour, the tables are messed up and the fonts just don't look right!!!
and it won't be fun if you fail an assignment for the same reasons either, lecturers don't send back mangled files, they can just fail you. -using open office won't be an excuse since MS office will have been provided on campus!

Open Office works the same way and has the same type of layout as Office though, doesnt it?

I haven't tried Open Office myself since I have a working copy of Office 2003 (I think), so don't really need it.

I had trouble installing it. Like the thing comes in a zip folder, win xp handled that. I went inside double clicked the .exe file. Then I get confused when it asks me to extract. I dunno where to extract from? The OpenOffice.org program says to make a temporary directory. Would a folder in your documents count as that?

Yep, that folder should be fine. You may find after extracting, you'll run the EXE filen from there and it'll install it like a standard program would.

I'm prolly gonna try downloading OpenOffice.org again cuz I deleted it after trying to get it to install without success. Thanks for your advice, Kage. I'll repost let you guys get an update on what happens.

Open Office is great, i have both Microsoft Office and Open Office. I have to say i use the office suite provided by Microsoft more than the free one that i downloaded, they both work great though.

Back
Top Bottom