CRC and I/O-errors

Rahiyja

Baseband Member
CRC and I/O-errors, corrupted downloads!

Hi.
I have recently bought a new system, which is working fine aside from one thing. Every time I download a large file from the internet, I get a message saying that it is corrupted, or has a CRC or I/O-error.
What could be the component that's the cause of this?
I have tried using the same line with another computer, and then it works perfectly, besides, I used my old computer without problems, so I'm thinking it must be this computer.

I have run excessive ram tests, without getting any errors, so I'm thinking it is the harddrive or the motherboard (it has got a built-in network function).

Any ideas which is the faulty component, and what I should do now to solve this mystery?

As a side note, I have had this problem on an earlier computer, and all I did then was replace the harddrive, and the CRC errors stopped.
The HDD I'm using now is the same one that I replaced the old with, so I've taken it from my previous computer and installed it in my current one. It is only about a half year old, but maybe there is a possibility that I have damaged it when moving it to the new system?

I have a PCI network card that I could insert in one of the slots on the motherboard, if it doesn't work when I do that, it would be safe to presume that the motherboard isn't the faulty component, yes?

Anyway, any help is appreciated!

when u download do u hit open or save? if u hit open all the time try saving it instead as i sometimes have to do with larger files

CRC is Cyclic Redundancy Check and is normally caused by Disk errors, I would suggest that you run the scandisk program, you may find that you have some bad sectors on your disk, running scan disk will either recover the bad sectors making them good, or mark them as bad so that they are not used.

Aside from that,
I would imagine, that

the hard disk controller in your old PC may be damaged, hence the first disk dieing, and this has damaged the second disk, so that it doesn't work in your new computer.

or the first hard disk was faulty, and the second computer has a faulty controller.

No, I am not using a download manager.
And yes, I always press save.

root: Thanks for the informative answer (don't mean to discredit the other two though).
I will run scan disk and see what happens.

I certainly hope that the controller on my current computer is not faulty, because that would mean that the mobo needs to be replaced, right?

I have run scan disk, with no errors at all. So I'm guessing that the disc is in fact damaged from the previous computer, what do you think?
Should I buy a new one and cross my thumbs that there's nothing wrong with my current controller?

yes... either that or see about borrowing one from a friend...
I'd suggest that when you do buy one, don't be affraid to spend an extra tenner for the convienience of being able to just walk into your local computer store...

they will (normally) be fairly understanding if you want to return the disc a week later and order a new mainboard instead, whilst a larger online supplier won't normally take too kindly to this and say it's your own fault.

Back
Top Bottom