Processor/Memory Recommendations

Hmmm... but what would workstation be defined as? Are the development programs I used considered workstation, or... 3d rendering and the such?

Workstations usually offer higher performance than normally found in a personal computer, especially with respect to graphics, processing power and multitasking ability.

At its main console, a workstation is optimized for displaying and manipulating complex data such as 3D mechanical design, engineering simulation results, mathematical plots, etc. Consoles usually consist of a high resolution display, a keyboard and a mouse as a minimum but often support dual displays to double the viewable information.

For advanced visualization tasks, specialized hardware such as SpaceBall can be used in conjunction with MCAD software to improve depth perception. Workstations, in general, are usually first to offer accessories and collaboration tools such as videoconferencing capability.

And for my mere needs as a developer with small-usage programs like Macromedia and Adobe, I don't need that kind of power and it will also save me a lot of money.

yeah workstations tend to be single purpose computers like 3d rendering/imaging as you stated.

I also think you would be better off with a dual core processor. If you want the best, the FX-60 is by far the best on the market. That will give insurmountable processing power for any of today's tasks.

I see... and FX-60 and X2's are a lot cheaper than Opteron, correct? And again, what's the difference between the FX and X2?

The FX series are specifically designed for game processing as well as for the digital media world. Combined with the X2 (aka dual core processor) you have the "best of both worlds" as TRD said quite well. With the power of dual core processing you can multitask like crazy as well. To point out, it has generally been said the normal dual core processors are weaker than the single core gaming specific counterparts in the purpose of digital media as stated, but the FX-60 does away with that problem.

Alright, then FX-60 seems the way to go with me, as I need multi-tasking power as well as over-average gaming capacity.

I think 2x FX-60, crossfired x1900xtx's, and 1x4GB RAM would do just fine. :D

How find it'd do to my wallet, I'm not sure. :p

Intel Pentium Extreme Edition 955 1066MHz FSB LGA 775

3.4GHZ x2 2mb L2 cach x2

and 65nm

And easy to overclock. with watercooling you can get it to 6Ghz easy

AMD's mere X2s have been seen to beat Intel's D's all over the place... I wonder how the D's would do in comparison to the FX-60's.

Someone give me the brief in comparing Intel's dual core to the FX-60.

G9 said:
Alright, then FX-60 seems the way to go with me, as I need multi-tasking power as well as over-average gaming capacity.

I think 2x FX-60, crossfired x1900xtx's, and 1x4GB RAM would do just fine. :D

How find it'd do to my wallet, I'm not sure. :p

Well, needless to say that computer is gonna, for lack of a better word, OWN! lol yeah it is definitely going to out perform any of your expectations if you decide to go that route. And yeah, it is going to devastate your walllet if you're worried about the cost...so my suggestion is, make sure you don't care about the price then you will be very happy. Very expensive indeed though. Good stuff, let us know if you have any other questions.

----> EDIT - to answer your question about the FX-60 performance, check out this link http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2668

Back
Top Bottom