Advice on new gaming rig

Flyin' Blind

Solid State Member
Hi All,

Been lurking around for weeks, but finally have made some decisions, and need anonymous approval.

I am not a pc whiz by any means, and building my own is not an option (2 small kids, and living in a double wide, while my house that just burned down is being rebuilt).

But I do like to research...especially before a big purchase.

Anyway, here is my latest config from buyxg.com:

CAS: X-BLADE Mid-Tower 450W W/ WINDOW & LCD Temperature Display + FAN CONTROL
CPU: (939-pin) AMD Athlonâ„¢64 FX 60 Dual-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology
CD: LG GWA-4161 16X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER
FAN: AMD ATHLON64 CERTIFIED CPU FAN & HEATSINK + 3 EXTRA CASE FANS
HDD: (SATA150 - Western Digital Raptor 36.7GB 10,000RPM 8MB Cache WD360GD)
HDD2: (SATA150 - Western Digital Raptor 36.7GB 10,000RPM 8MB Cache WD360GD)
MOTHERBOARD: (Sckt939)ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe nForce4 SLI Chipset SATA RAID Dual PCIE MB w/GbLAN,USB2.0,IEEE-1394,&7.1Audio
MEMORY: 2048 MB (1GBx2) PC3200 400MHz Dual Channel DDR MEMORY (Corsair XMS High Performance Memory w/ Heat Spreader
OS: Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional w/ Service Pack 2
POWERSUPPLY: Enermax EG565P 535 Watt Power Supply (SLI-Ready)
RAID: RAID 0 Striped Disk Array
SERVICE: Standard Warranty: 1-Year Limited Warranty Plus 1-Year OnSite Service
SOUND: New! Creative Labs X-FI Platinum 24-BIT PCI Sound Card
USB: Build-in USB 2.0 Ports
VIDEO: NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GTX 256MB 16X PCI Express Video Card [+355]

PRICE: US$ 2874 + 5% discount = $2730.30

Here are the major issues:

Case - I don't care what it looks like, and this was relatively inexpensive.

Processor - All I've been reading about is this AMD FX60 chip... I really only need the PC for gaming and music, but also want to keep it as long as possible (with future upgrades), so thought this was the way to go..... or am I lighting my cigarette with a scud missile? Couldn't build an FX-60 system for cheaper, anywhere else.

Fan - Enough cooling?

If there is something up here I really don't need, or won't help my cause in 3-4 years, appreciate the input.

Thanks

In my opinion just wait a few more months for AMD's new socket to come out. If you dont want to wait though that is a very nice computer.

That PC will serve you well for a while yet. Looks great to me! One thing: that video card comes in a 512 MB version, which might suit you better. However, I think you'd have to have two 512 MB's to SLi, if you want to.

Wait no one said anything about him only having 70gb's of space. 2 raptors each 36.7 dont you think you should get like another storage drive around 160 or more?

Good point Dev, I didn't even notice that. What I would do is throw those in RAID 0, and get a storage drive for other stuff! Put your OS on the storage drive, and throw your games on those Raptors! Just watch your loadings times FLY! :D

I would also wait, direct x 10 and shader model 4 game are comming out soon. And yer video card you choose doesnt support it. Wait till june, and get th nvidia G80.

Is that when the 7900 series is coming out? Because I don't think the 7900's are supporting Direct X 10 or Shader Model 4 either.

I dont think that you DEF have to buy the FX-60. There are plenty of good gaming processors out there that are cheaper. With the money you save from choosing a different processor, you could spend on watercooling, and overclock another processor!

Uh ok but as of now the fx-60 is the best core out. He has no budget frrom the looks of it. Also he is not buildiing it him self if you read his post. Therfor he wont be able to get a good water cooling systems most companys do not offer a good water cooling system just a basic one to the cpu. So i would still go with the fx-60 core if you the the money to dish out. Another thing if he's buying it from a companny the bios most likely will be locked disabling him from being able to overclock!!! So the the fx-60 to me the your best bet.

Back
Top Bottom