eVGA 7800GT Fan...

Jamxx

Fully Optimized
Hey guys.

Well, since I installed my new Zalman cooler, I've noticed that my graphics card fan spins at a higher RPM all the time. Used to, it would simply slow down so you pretty much could not hear it at all once I booted into Windows, but now it says on high for a while and after about 20 minutes starts to spin down some, but not as much as it did. And it is starting to annoy me! The temperatures are fine, don't worry about that, but I would like to get this thing to quiet down some. Is there something I can do? By the way, I un-overclocked it, and it still happens.

Thanks.

You actually took off the stock cooler on your video card for a Zalman? I thought my stock cooler works just fine as it keeps the temps around 44 degrees or so. I'm not sure what you can do to reduce the noise. Some fans adjust RPM due to how hot the GPU gets. While some have manual controls to adjust how fast they're spinning. I don't know if Zalman have that kind of manual control so you can adjust. Maybe that's the way it is with that Zalman cooler. Did you apply some thermal compound to it? The bigger the fan, the louder they are. Imagine having a 120mm fan running all the time. That can get annoying.

No, no! Haha, I put it on my CPU! My bad, I didn't make that clear. The card has the stock cooler.

Yeah... But I'm talking about the GPU fan! The GPU fan is staying on longer... And the Zalman is actually very quiet. I have it turned down (comes with a fan speed controller).

I never notice the sound on mine. The humming is always the same sound. But the temperature of your GPU pretty much stays the same most of the time right? If so, I wouldn't worry about it.

Thats weird mine is really loud untill I get into windows then it slows down. You could go to evga's forum and ask there. They might know why.

I have like 10 system fans in my PC so that's probably why I don't notice it. But as long as your temps are tolerable and remain pretty consistant, you know the fans working as it should.

I'm not worried about it, it is the sound that bothers me! I know it is working as it should, but it just used to not be this loud and spin so fast. I was wondering if there's something I can do to restore that. I might try reinstalling the drivers.

I forgot to add, that after my computer has been on for a while and the fan has quieted down, if I restart it will quiet down right upon going to the desktop and not take a while like it would if I had just started it up in the morning or something.

Back
Top Bottom