How accurate is this analogy?

G9

Daemon Poster
NVIDIA SLI is to video cards as RAID 0 is to hard drives.

Is that an accurate analogy?

I think it's similar. It kind of reminds me of dual channel configuration to memory modules too. They're all kind of the same, just different technology. It always involve a pair of devices that help to improve performance.

Distortion88 said:
that would be true but what is the purpose of this?
My understanding of the SLI system... and I guess a basic understanding for newbs like me.

So the SLI system is merely combining two card's power into one? And they both have to be identical?

G9 said:
My understanding of the SLI system... and I guess a basic understanding for newbs like me.

So the SLI system is merely combining two card's power into one? And they both have to be identical?

oh lol sorry, i c. Yeah SLI would combine two of the same vid cards. The only thing that doesn't necessarily have to be the same is manufacturers because the new drivers now support this. But identical wise means for example 2 X 7800GT's and not a 6800GT and a 7800GT.

They don't have to identical in terms of who manufactures the board, but the chipset used have to be the same. They're combining the GPU's together to share the processing power.

TRDCorolla said:
They don't have to identical in terms of who manufactures the board, but the chipset used have to be the same. They're combining the GPU's together to share the processing power.
Point taken.

Distortion88 said:
oh lol sorry, i c. Yeah SLI would combine two of the same vid cards. The only thing that doesn't necessarily have to be the same is manufacturers because the new drivers now support this. But identical wise means for example 2 X 7800GT's and not a 6800GT and a 7800GT.
No offense taken.

Alright, I think I understand SLI enough to be able to make decision about it. :p

I heard that the ATI's "crossfire" system is their equivelant to the NVIDIA SLI technology, write? Or is this a miswording?

Alright, I see. Also, I heard that Matrox is a good card for 2D applications like Flash and Photoshop. Is this true, and can this be compared to say, a 7800GTX or an ATI x1900xtx, or are they in two completely different fields?

I never heard of Matrox. The 7800GTX and the ATi X1900XT are two very good video cards and are more than capable for anything you can throw at it these days. Get the one that you like the most. If you're an nvidia fan, get the 7800gtx. If not, get the x1900xtx. I like nvidia's nice website layout and their drivers are very easy to find compared to ATi's site.

Back
Top Bottom