Opteron vs. Xeon: Today's Leading Workstation Processors Head-to-Head

G9

Daemon Poster
Opteron vs. Xeon: Today's Leading Workstation Processors Head-to-Head

Well, my question is: What is more powerful and effective, Intel's Xeon or AMD's Opteron?

I noticed in configuring the Alienware MJ-12 desktop systems, that the Intel Xeon powered MJ-12 7550i held less memory capacity, at 4 GB, then the AMD Opteron powered MJ-12 7550a, at an incredible 16 GB. This is no doubt due to AMD's 64-bit technology, and the new AMD-exclusive Windows Professional x64 edition.

While the AMD can hold more memory, let's have a showdown between a x2 Intel Xeon 3.8ghz with 4 GB of memory and an x2 AMD Opteron 2.4ghz Dual Core with 4 GB of memory.

The Xeon is definetly the more reliable server processor. It was designed to run for 25/7 365. Plus, it's meant to run at 100% effiency for that entire length. When it comes to sheer reliability, the Xeon is the processor of choice. :)

However, if you want a server processor for like, gaming, you know, to host the games, then definetly consider an Opteron. Opterons are more of the gamey type of server processor. Infact, people have used them in their PCs as a gaming CPU. It's reliable, and overclocks like a mad man on crack.

Once again, it truly comes down to preference, which ever you want, get. If it's within your budget, buy it. Compare the stats, and make your decision. Really, there is no, "Better or worse" processor when it comes to servers. With a server processor, you want something that can process for hours, if not days, on end. Somethign reliable is what you'll want, both the Opteron and Xeon provide that. Not to mention, both boast great technologies. So, it's really what you prefer. :)

1337DuD3 said:
The Xeon is definetly the more reliable server processor. It was designed to run for 25/7 365. Plus, it's meant to run at 100% effiency for that entire length. When it comes to sheer reliability, the Xeon is the processor of choice. :)

However, if you want a server processor for like, gaming, you know, to host the games, then definetly consider an Opteron. Opterons are more of the gamey type of server processor. Infact, people have used them in their PCs as a gaming CPU. It's reliable, and overclocks like a mad man on crack.

Once again, it truly comes down to preference, which ever you want, get. If it's within your budget, buy it. Compare the stats, and make your decision. Really, there is no, "Better or worse" processor when it comes to servers. With a server processor, you want something that can process for hours, if not days, on end. Somethign reliable is what you'll want, both the Opteron and Xeon provide that. Not to mention, both boast great technologies. So, it's really what you prefer. :)

I'm not looking for server usage, I'm looking for personal workstation usage.

Well, Xeon isn't really designed for anything other then servers. For this, I suggest the Opteron. It will suite your needs just fine. :)

And I happen to reccomend the Xeon. As it will also suit your needs just fine. :D

EDIT>
But as much as I hate to admit, for personal use, I think the Amd would be better..

Alright, I've registered that the consensus here is in favor of the Opteron... :p

I'm assuming you're a fan of Xeon's? Of course, this fact is doubtless. :p

Back
Top Bottom