Colleges

Well, I don't even know the correct terms for such as, computer programming, or networking or whatnot, what are some of the most popular ones?

And where are you attending?

Where I'm at, here's how it goes:

College of Science and College of Business Administration are the two key colleges for IT. College of Engineering is another field as that gets into Computer Engineering which is all hardware (diodes, resistor, digital logic, AC/DC. etc). It's hard, because you actually design the components (motherboards, IC's-CPU-GPU, etc.)

College of Science includes computer science while the College of Business Administration includes CIS (Computer Information Systems). In the Computer Information Systems field, it is further divided into 4 different tracks:

Applications Software Development
Business Systems Analysis
Internet Programming and Security
Telecommunications and Networking

You pick one you want to do and that's it. Computer Science is a whole other field and I won't get into that. It's using C++, Fortran, and other different programming languages. It's strictly programming and software development (hardcore stuff).

With CIS, you're an IT with a broad knowledge of C++, Java, HTML, etc. so you are exposed to some Computer Science classes.

And your saying it would be too much to do CIS under Business, and all the programming under Computer Science?

I have to take about 10-15 business courses to get a CIS major, but not all the business classes. Then I have the CIS core classes which are required for all CIS majors regardless of what track you want to get into. Some of those required core classes include some programming, but not all programming classes. Then after the core classes are completed, that's where the individual tracks come in. There's only like 6 classes left for you to take and that's it.

Sorry to bump this.. But I'm wanting to figure this stuff out. We have a community college nearby, in which alot of people take classes there, it's called KEC

I'm just wondering, did you take just the normal curriculm in highschool to get where you are now? Like, VB 1 and 2, HTML, Java, and I think there's another one.. Or did you do something like how us here go to KEC and take classes? I'm wondering if I'll be able to find classes to take that are just one more class I WONT have to take in college?

High school is more complicated now. You need to get with your high school counselor like right now to discuss your college plans so they can choose what class you need to take. The classes should apply to your high school credits as well as your transfer units towards a junior college. Then once you get into junior college, you need to go see their "academic advisors" and let them know what you want to major in and what university you will transfer too. That way, they will give you an "education plan" that lists all the classes you need to take to go on to the university. Once at the university, you may go see an academic advisor again so they can give you another list of classes you have to take to graduate.

It's actually very easy. The counselor's and advisors give you all the info you need to know. Once you get the hang of how things work, you won't even need to see the advisor's anymore, like me. I have an academic plan I download from the department website showing me what classes I need to take. It's up to me to keep track of what classes I take and cross them out as I go. If you don't want to do that, then see an advisor. They'll do everything as if they were your personal secretary. It's pretty neat.

The reason why you do all this is so you don't waste your time in college taking useless classes you don't need. The other reason is so you can graduate much, much faster if you do it the way the advisors tell you to.

This is a question I've always had, I always hear people talking about this.. You say junior college, then university.. So your saying after I graduate highschool, I can't go straight to, SIU for example?

And under more research, I found out how this goes:

http://www.syc427.org/schools2/shs/COURSE2006-07.pdf

Scroll down to page 15. They mixed business and technology so just forget the business stuff. Right now, the freshman that I am, I'm finishing off Computer apps 1 and 2. Next year, I'll be taking VB1 and 2. Junior year, I'll be taking Javascript and Intermediate HTML, and C# Programming. Well, what about my senior year? Scroll down a little more and you'll find CIS, which is indeed a class over at KEC, what I was talking about earlier. Those are the classes I plan on taking. And they follow the recomendation on page 14 for computer programming to a T. So, I guess I got this pretty well figured out? Just not about the whole junior college/university thing?

Edit: What classes did you take in HS? And where are you attending now?

But that's only high school though. Maybe just try take only the classes you need to graduate high school and get into junior college quickly. The reason why you would go to a junior college is because it's cheaper than jumping to a university. Plus it's a bit easier too so the transition won't be too overwhelming. You always have the option to go to a university head on, if you wish.

I would make an appointment with your high school counselor to talk about your plans. They'll know what to do for you. In high school, I didn't take any of those classes you mentioned. Just the basic to graduate high school. No computer electives. You start taking them in college.

i am going to a 2 year for cisco networking. Im waiting on my A+ exam until then , because i have to take the A+ course weather or not i have it already. What are your thoughts on cisco networking?

Back
Top Bottom