Need some computer help!

endorphins

Solid State Member
Hello,

Recently I built a new computer, and I was trying to install Windows XP Pro Edition and it kept rebooting randomly on me. Well, I got throught the installation finally and everything seemed to be going smooth and great! I got to installing my games and everything and my computer just suddenly rebooted, so I thought eh maybe I did something to piss it off so I paid no attention to it. I got everything installed and went to play some Battlefield 2. I loaded up the game got everything set up then BAM! my computer rebooted again. Started windows back up and tried getting back into Battlefield 2 again, and then BAM! as soon as I started loading a map it restarted again. So, I figured maybe somethings wrong so I went upstairs and left my computer Idle, came back and noticed it restarted again. So hopefully someone can help me I suspect it is either my power supply or maybe my hard-drive. Heres my computer specs listed below:

Power Supply: 420Watt
MB: Asus P5N32-SLI Deluxe
Processor: Intel Pentium-Extreme Edition Processor 955 [3.46GHz, Dual-Core, 2x2MB Cache, 1066MHz FSB, 64-Bit]
Hard Drive: 200gb Western Digital (if it is HDD problems, will be soon getting 2 WD Raptor 74GB hard-drives anyway)
Memory: 2gb DDR
GFX: Nvidia gForce 7800 GTX 512mb

Also, I get no error messages or anything it just randomly reboots its the wierdest thing, it seems that it doesnt stay up for more than 20-25 minutes. Any help would be appriciated, thank you.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe a 7800GTX needs at least 450W of power to run (properly). And on top of that you're running a fairly powerful processor as well. Maybe that is the problem. Running a high end system like that requires a good amount of wattage from a high end PSU.

Distortion88 said:
If I'm not mistaken, I believe a 7800GTX needs at least 450W of power to run (properly). And on top of that you're running a fairly powerful processor as well. Maybe that is the problem. Running a high end system like that requires a good amount of wattage from a high end PSU.

rgr, and im thinking about picking up a 600w powersupply is that powerful enough or should i swing for a 650 or higher?

550 watts should do you fine. Just get a nice, brand-name PSU that has fairly good reviews.

endorphins said:
rgr, and im thinking about picking up a 600w powersupply is that powerful enough or should i swing for a 650 or higher?

600W should be perfect. While 550W would be all right like Jamxx suggested, 600W will put you on the safer side.

Jamxx said:
550 watts should do you fine. Just get a nice, brand-name PSU that has fairly good reviews.

kk, I think I might just buy the 600 watt and be on the safe side, also whats a good program that will monitor my mobo, cpu, and fans and all that jazz i looked at motherboard monitor but that doesnt support my setup. Any ideas?

Yes, you need a bigger power supply. The same thing is happening to me. I have a 450 watt power supply right now to go with my 7800GT. It doesn't crash on me as much as you have experienced, but ever since I install this damn video card, my PC has rebooted on me about 5 times already. Here's my sympton how I can tell. Everytime I run my graphic intensive games, I can hear a whine in the power supply. The sound reduces every time I play games on it. Then when I close out of the games, the PSU go back to normal sound. Isn't that a trip? I know for sure I need a 500watt PSU at least to satisfy my power hungry system. It never did this before and the only thing I installed recently was that 7800GT. The system requirements states you need 450watts minimum. Well in my experience now, that is not recommended. Don't ever go by the minimum requirements without experiencing some fault. I'm going through it first hand.

You definitely will need to upgrade that PSU. It should fix the problem. For me too. Haven't got it yet because I'm in the middle of a move and I'm prepping for finals coming up. Plus, I'm short on money so the upgrades going to come later. Thank goodness for my portable laptop because my regular desktop PC is all packed up along with my heavy ass speakers too. THat thing was a pain to pack up again.

Whats a good program to monitor my comps temperatures? i've tried motherboard monitor but that doesnt seem to support my mobo

Back
Top Bottom