Help me choose a processor

Well Dual Processors w/ HT I think is faster then one Dual-Core processor. I mean, you have two physical processors, plus two logical processors, that's essetilly four CPUs. I don't know how that could be slower in terms of sheer processing, such as a server. Dual Processors I think is faster in processing then a dual-core.

If we're comparing apples to apples, then I think we should compare processing in it's raw form. Such an example would be a server. If you have this server set up, and it has one dual-core Opteron in it, and the other server has two Opterons in it with HT, then that's theortically(sp?) more processors. However, I'm not so sure if it's faster then the dual-core.

Considering that billions of packets are coming in at a considerable rate, then that should keeo the dual procssors and dual-core busy for a bit. However, which can processes the most packets the fastest.

On a side note, isn't one packet 8 bits? (Or 1 byte if you want to get technical) I can't remember form my networking class...spealing of which I should check out and review! :D

but you see, if you have 4 880's. That means you have 8 cores :D I dont think Xeons could go 8 way, LK, correct me if im wrong.

The 1st Windows OS which support 64 bit processing is XP Pro. Not home. Then after there is Windows XP 64 bit edition (crap), Windows Vista (Very very very very carp).

But befor Windows Linex or how ever you spell it and mac had 64 Bit OS's and had apps which ran on 64 even way befor AMD lanched there Atholon 64. They used to have 2 32 bit processors as a dule which ran 64bit, now there are 64 bit processors (not two 32bit CPU in a bed but just one 64bit CPU in a single bed) But now there are 64bit Dules (two 64bit CPU in a king sized bed)

Novartic_ said:
The 1st Windows OS which support 64 bit processing is XP Pro. Not home. Then after there is Windows XP 64 bit edition (crap), Windows Vista (Very very very very carp).

But befor Windows Linex or how ever you spell it and mac had 64 Bit OS's and had apps which ran on 64 even way befor AMD lanched there Atholon 64. They used to have 2 32 bit processors as a dule which ran 64bit, now there are 64 bit processors (not two 32bit CPU in a bed but just one 64bit CPU in a single bed) But now there are 64bit Dules (two 64bit CPU in a king sized bed)

64-bit computing has been around for a rather long time. Infact, even the third generation console gaming system, the Nintendo 64, used a 64-bit computer in it.

Operating Systems on the other had, are very different. They typically are behind when it comes to applications and OS's being 64-bit. Heck, we barely even have a 64-bit OS in today's world! And how long has it been around? A long time that's for sure.

128-bit computing is coming out I believe in 2007, along with the quad core release. Hopefully though, the industry can invent a new technology, my ideas is Super Hyper Threading/Transport technology. What I mean by this is for every core, there's double the logical threads. So, 1 core would have two threads, but those threads would be super pumped. But once you reach multiple cores, the Super HT kicks in!

In a dual-core, instead of having 4 total processors with HT, you'd have 8. Each HT processor gets it's own HT processor. Does that make sense? If not I'll break it down a bit more.

Single Core
Core
Logical thread (super fast @ 4GB/s)

Dual-Core
Core
Logical Thread
-----Logical Thread
-----Logical Thread
Core
Logical Thread
-----Logical Thread
-----Logical Thread

So as you see, each thread gets an extra two threads. Adding up to 8 total processors.

And remember. Intell are crap when it comes to dule processing at 64 bit. AMD are the way. Intel make out that AMD use two 32bit CPU's as a 64CPU, But this is not the case, although intell might of done this in the past AMD actualy do have a pure single 64Bit CPU with no added bed sheets.

Back
Top Bottom