Video Card Suggestions

The Power said:
Is the mastercard equivalent to the bridge that comes with an SLI motherboard that connects the video cards??

Also, I think a gt would be fine for high settings. Sure the GTX is better but The nVidia 7 series is the most up to date one so the GT will be fine for F.E.A.R. (which I hear is a not such a great game and overrated). And also, I think Doom 3 sucked. But thats my opinion.
I can already see that you are the strategy-game type person.

I am assuming that I should go with the GTX overall?

okay, first thing's first.

1. yes you can combine different graphics cards on the ati's crossfire dual layout. HOWEVER, if you combine a lower end card with a higher end card, the cards will automatically run on the lower denominator card.

for example : x800xt + x1900xt

it will only be as powerful as 2x x800xt.

Secondly..
2. WTF are you talking about when you say "i can see that you are already a strategy game type person G9? = he clearly states if he can run 2 FIRST PERSON SHOOTER titles..

Last but not least..
3. the x1900xt is proved to outperform the 7800gtx. (you will probably not see much of a difference with current gen titles though.) however, it has been also stated by some sources that the x1900xt might even ourperform it's counterpart the upcoming nvidia 7900gt. So consider that. I dont have any links at the moment, but perhaps if i get time i'll post it up. Good luck and happy gaming.

1. Point taken
2. He was saying F.E.A.R. and Doom 3, both game of the year winners, sucked. I was assuming he was a "real-time strategy" game fan.
3. How about the x1900xt in comparison to the Quadro FX 4500 512MB w/ SLI?

acekrn said:
the x1900xt is proved to outperform the 7800gtx. (you will probably not see much of a difference with current gen titles though.) however, it has been also stated by some sources that the x1900xt might even ourperform it's counterpart the upcoming nvidia 7900gt. So consider that. I dont have any links at the moment, but perhaps if i get time i'll post it up. Good luck and happy gaming.

You're corect.

The 7900GTX is said to be only a 7800GTX with 8 more pixel pipelines, and a higher core and memory clock.

However, pipelines DOES NOT mean better performance. Actually, the most pixelpipelines a video card needs is about 16. It's about shader pixel processors. The more pixel shader processors a card has, the more things it can do. In which case, the clear winner is the X1900 series processors.

If you want to have good performance at a relative cheap price, I suggest this to you: Get Two X1600PROs in 512MB, put them in CrossFire. With the X1300 and X1600 series video cards, you do not need a master card, as oppossed to the X800, X850, X1800, and lastly the X1900 series video cards.

If you want to have a better setup in dual GPUs, get CrossFire. If you want the ultimate video card capable of delivery maxed out settings on every game currently in the world, get the X1900 series GPU. Whichever platform you choose, you should definetly consider ATI as the GPU maker to go with. I'm no fanboy, I just like what's best, and currently, ATI provides the best, in single, and in dual, graphics platforms.

So, choose whichever you want, but, keep in mind that NVIDIA is releasing the 7900 series video cards this month (March), which means prices drop on some of their video cards, most notebly the 7800 series, so you may very well want to consider going with one of those if your willing to spend some extra money. :)

Again... how about the x1900xt in comparison to the Quadro FX 4500 512MB w/ SLI, albeit that the quadro is a workstation graphics card.

That card sucks. I'm sorry but the only thing that card has going for it is the "Xtreme" name. When in fact, it's not extreme at all! :D The 6800GS is a better buy if you want that series card, better yet, consider the X1600 series, or the 7800GT. Or maybe even the X850PRO. :)

With that kind of mindset, you'll keep on thinking... or maybe even the x1900xt! ;)

Sorry for bringing this back up but I need a new suggestion... I was asking for my own pc, but I now need a suggestion for a new budget PC I'm building... I need something that can run Halo on high.

Back
Top Bottom