ATI announces x16 CrossFire setup!

Well, here's the article!

TomsHardware.com said:
ATI announces dual x16 Crossfire 3200 chipset
Wolfgang Gruener
1 Mar 2006 16:37

Markham (ON) - ATI today introduced its Crossfire 3200 chipset, which was formerly code-named RD580. The dual-graphics chipset offers two x16 PCI Express slots and allows users to install two graphics cards without the need for a master/slave configuration, as it is the case with the Xpress 200 version.

The new Crossfire chipset pushes ATI deeper into the high-end of the gaming market, with the promise that the chipset enables a 60% overclocking capability while offering "maximum stability." The Northbridge, which is the first single-chip devices to include dual x16 PCI Express slots, integrates a total of 40 PCI Express lines. 32 of those are dedicated to graphics bandwidth; the remaining eight are kept for general availability.

ATI has been offering its Xpress 200 Crossfire chipset, but so far has lived in the shadow of Nvidia's SLI technology, which has been available with dual x16 capability for some time. According to sources, SLI will also be available in a Quad-SLI variant within four weeks. Compared to the first Crossfire chipset, the Xpress 3200 does not require users to purchase a dedicated master card to enable dual-graphics functionality. Instead, the chipset is capable of running any two of X1000-series graphics cards in tandem.

Other features of the Xpress 3200, which is available for AMD Socket 939 platforms only at this time, include eight USB ports, a Serial ATA controller with RAID o,1 support, four parallel ATA 133 interfaces, HD audio as well as support for trusted platform module versions 1.1 and 1.2.

ATI says that the Xpress 3200 is available for purchase today on Asus' A8R32-MVP motherboard. At the time of writing this article, we found several merchants listing the board for prices between $205 and $225; however, none of the etailers could confirm that the board is in stock.

The article can be viewed here: http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/03/01/ati_crossfire_3200/

That's pretty cool, maybe this one can compete with nvidia chipsets, so far the ati chipsets have been mediocre at best, let's see how this stacks up in not only video performance but normal computing performance as well.

Very nice... I like that kind of ATI competition. Of course, with this coming...
dell_quadsli_large_2.jpg

Ati's going to have to come up with something like this to keep up...

Actually ATI chopsets outperform NVIDIA nForce4 chipsets. Just CrossFire isn't as popular...:(

[EDIT] Four GPUs is completely useless, unless you're using older 6600GTs to have Quad SLI. :rolleyes:

ouch, $200?!?! thats reaching kinda deep into my pockets. i think ill stick to two x1600's on a xpress200. does that support 32 lanes? or just 16?

jac006 said:
Too bad those are four 512mb 7800gtx's....

Sry but I highly doubt those are since they are all fitting together. 7800GTX 512's look alot bigger anbd probobly wouldn't fit that tight. Anyways, if they are, good luck with the temperatures.

yeah i was aware of the renegade from the CES show.. that was the uber computer they had on for a upcoming dell comp. good sheet.. the amazing part is they OC it while manufactoring.. and they put a warranty on it. :S

Back
Top Bottom