Athelon64 3700+ or Athelon 64 3800+ Dual Core?

WHOA lk is back.~~~ good to see you again

anyways, ive never heard of cab3e, you guys are crazy/// the best stepping for ocing is cabne. but its not like you get to pick which stepping you want, its random

1337DuD3 said:
What was the stock frequency of your Opteron 148? 2.2Ghz? I think that's it but I'm not forcertain. Anywho, a 600MHz overclock for an Opteron, I think that;s fairly decent, considering I only get roughly 800MHz increase on my P4 overclocked.

I definetly think that getting the Opteron 144 + 1 gig of RAM + that CPU cooler, is definetly the better buy. Although, I could very well be mistaken! And then again, in June the new Socket AM2 and it's new 6 A64 X2 processors come out, so that will drop the things I want by a very VERY significant amount! :D

It's true that Opterons are great, but when you go shopping, you want to shop for the future and not by how much you can get for little money. If I were you, I'd get a Dual Core processor. I say this mainly because games ARE utilizing the second core. Quake 4 is only 1 of the many games that are becoming Dual Core compatible. You gotta look toward the future.

In the future, you will have enough for Ram and cooling which (combined) will come up to be less than what you're spending now. So, in the long run, you save money.

OH SWEET, QUAKE 4? ISNT THAT like ONE OF THE WORST EFFING GAMES OF THE YEAR? SWEET MAN, THATS JUST FREAKING DANDY. name some more titles.. maybe i'll tend interest

acekrn said:
btw, i'm just curious to know what you guys mean by multitasking. do you mean palying diablo 2 while having cs:source up at the same time? cuz i can do that now. And i dont have a dual core system. and why the hell would you play both at the same time.. and HOW , even with 2 monitors.. might as well jsut get TWO systems instead.

Actually, Multitasking involves running many programs at once and switching back and forth between them. Running two games simultaneously is a form of multi-tasking; however, dual core allows for un-interupted multitasking... For example, playing Farcry while encoding a video. Doing the two together on a single core causes crappy framerates in games or slows down the encoding process.

if you mean keeping windows media player on, while surfing the net, and having photoshop cs2 open while chatting on msn, aim + yahoo + icq and recording ur guitar licks, + playing a game at the same time... well my current setup does that. So i dont see the point of the dual core systems..

In essesence, everyone's computer does that. Except, not as quickly as it should. Also realize that the processes you're runnng aren't running at the same time... Your processor is processing one command after another extremely quickly. So, it appears to be running simultaneously. When dealing with Dual cores, your processes will actually be running at the same time.

hell, just wait for vista and see what the reviews are AFTER the os is released. just WAIT!!! for jebus' sake. because apparently, as most of you are well aware, vista is supposed to take advantage of the second core....

you never know what anything is capable of until you get to test it out first hand.

plus the os is gonna cost close to 500 bux (tax included). This os is gonna be the foundation of pc computers.. dont you want to wait just a little bit and see how it all works out before you go ahead and lay the cash down on the systeM? just wait man... please.. i beg of you.. for ur OWN sake of saving money. Besides, no good games are even coming out for at least 2 months : Ghost recon advanced warfighter, oblivion , etc. just wait.. PLEASE! and i'll guarantee you that you'll be satisfied with ur buy then..

besides, if you wait out.. the computer parts ur looking at now will get even cheaper. only better for you my friend. Wait for the vista, hold off on all system upgrades.

Why are you begging? :p

Games do utilize the Dual Core. Many of them have patches released to take advantage (Quake 4), while others are being released with that functionality (Quake Wars). And you won't need to wait 2 months for it.

acekrn said:
OH SWEET, QUAKE 4? ISNT THAT like ONE OF THE WORST EFFING GAMES OF THE YEAR? SWEET MAN, THATS JUST FREAKING DANDY. name some more titles.. maybe i'll tend interest

Ah, a live one!

Quake 4 is awesome! Have you ever played Quake 4? Hmmm....

Do the research yourself, buddy. I'm not trying to convince you. I'm trying to convince l33tDude.

Thank you for the good posts Quinton. :D

So I should get the X2 3800+ instead of the Opteron 144 Venus? Well, the X2 3800+ will drop price in three months anyways, and by that I should have saved up enough money to get everything, I don't know. I'll see what happens when the time comes. As for now however, I think the X2 3800+ is a tad bit expensive for my liking.

I mean $300 dollars for a CPU, seems a bit pricey to me, even when the chips are dual-core and all, I don't think it should be that high, maybe $250, but certainly not $300. Since I'm on a rather tight budget, $50 is the difference between yesterdays and todays technology gains. Hence the dual-core purchasing or the Opteron purchase.

Who knows, I think I might just get the dual-core or something, but what IS for certain si that I AM going AMD on this build, so despite whichever processor I choose, it will certainly be better then my current setup! :D

Dual Xeons on a nice big Extended ATX Motherboard? [drools]

But yeah, over Opterons I would say the X2 3800+ would be a good idea. Opterons are so much more beyond the normal Processors, hence the expense, more so than a Xeon because an Opteron is between the Xeon and the Itanium in a vague attempt to beat both.

I'm afraid I don't know the number combinations for Opterons :p But that is a surprising price. Although, I can get the best single Core Xeon for less than that price with HT, and that Opteron is probably not much better, and will need a more expensive motherboard.

Plut you can't use DDR2 with it :p

Too bad amd will coming out with ddr2 very soon, and the opteron is an incredible oc'er on air too. Intel's run way too hot for me...

Back
Top Bottom