Computer freezes before i get the welcome screen

nick_w

In Runtime
hi my computer freezes at the black part of the booting up process before i can get the welcome screen and freezes i try pressing delete and it doesnt let me do that either it is just frozen how can i fix thios or what is the problem

We need a little more information than that as it could be a number of things. Give us all your computer specs. Also, were you messing around in the BIOS? Installing new hardware? Any recent upgrades like drivers, new BIOS flash, etc? Or did this problem just happen randomly for no apparent reason?

Distortion88 said:
We need a little more information than that as it could be a number of things. Give us all your computer specs. Also, were you messing around in the BIOS? Installing new hardware? Any recent upgrades like drivers, new BIOS flash, etc? Or did this problem just happen randomly for no apparent reason?
my brother changed 2 things in the BIOS he said but he forgot what they were he was also deleting norton anti virus but i dont think that would be it when he was prompted 2 restart the comp.

comp specs:
pentium 4
windows xp pro
2.8ghz
512mb ram 80gig hd

Norton is a great reason not to start. If your computer is getting to the blank part before the Windows XP logo comes up, I would have to say it's a software driver/program issue- and probably Norton. Try powering on the computer, and tapping F8 the whole time. It should give you a list of options, one will be Safe Mode. Select and hit enter. If it loads into Safe Mode- you have a software issue that you need to resolve. Try going into control panel and removing Norton. Be aware that Norton doesn't always come completely off your computer, you may have to download the NAV Removal Tool to get rid of it completely. Try Safe Mode first, and see if you can get into Windows that way.

i was trying to remove norton with the NAV removal tool thats when it decided to freeze on me when i try to press F8 it doesnt do anything either

Power off the computer.
Power on the computer, tapping F8- should give you a list of options.
If not, you will probably need to do a Windows Repair.
Last resort is to format and reinstall.

i tryed formatting the comp but it doesnt giv me an option when i push the keyboard it doesnt work
just froze everything

it is most likely because of the stuff he changed in the BIOS, you cant just change stuff randomly, he really needs to try to remember what he changed, other wize the PC could be nuked...

pctechmike said:
Power off the computer.
Power on the computer, tapping F8- should give you a list of options.
If not, you will probably need to do a Windows Repair.
Last resort is to format and reinstall.
i doubt it is a software problem, i strongly believe it is the BIOS

I know little about the details of an intel based computer but I would assume they come with a CMOS or something similar? If that's true, you can reset the BIOS by switching the jumpers on the motherboard. If you don't know what Im talking about, you'll have to search for more information about it unless someone else on the forums knows for sure that it exists for an intel motherboard.

Basically if you can reset the BIOS, whatever was changed by your brother will be reset to default again. Hopefully that would correct the problem.

----wait, scratch what I said, if you've still got access to the BIOS you can follow this --->

http://developer.intel.com/design/motherbd/standardbios.htm#5

recon 16 said:
it is most likely because of the stuff he changed in the BIOS, you cant just change stuff randomly, he really needs to try to remember what he changed, other wize the PC could be nuked...

i doubt it is a software problem, i strongly believe it is the BIOS

Really, you can't change stuff randomly in BIOS- and the computer will still work!:eek: I had no idea......

If this guy is getting to boot from CD, then something is set in BIOS to tell the PC to boot- BIOS is working..... granted, it could be an issue with it, I wouldn't rule it out completely- but anytime you have a system that will boot up, pass control of the computer to the OS, and not load- software issue/corrupt driver/possibly hardware issue. Nothing you do in BIOS will nuke the computer- unless you change the multiplier or something to that effect. Everything else will simply work- or won't. I'm going to respect your opinion, but please don't quote me anymore. And I'll leave it at that:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom