Athelon64 3700+ or Athelon 64 3800+ Dual Core?

Well I think if I get the Opteron 144 Venus I can have enough money to get another gigabyte of RAM, PLUS!!! that huge and awesome CPU cooler! :D

I thought you did multi task. Anyways.. screw it. Get the opteron and go all out with it. Get REALLY good water cooling, and OC the **** outta it... :D

Do you think it's stock frequency of 1.8GHz is good enough though? I mean, my Pentium IV runs OCed at 3.08GHz, and it even has trouble some times. But then again this IS a server processor, so it should be much faster despite it's slower fequency? I'm not to familar with Opterons, except for the fact that they can overclock like noneother!

Where's Jamxx when you need him...:confused:

1337DuD3 said:
Do you think it's stock frequency of 1.8GHz is good enough though? I mean, my Pentium IV runs OCed at 3.08GHz, and it even has trouble some times. But then again this IS a server processor, so it should be much faster despite it's slower fequency? I'm not to familar with Opterons, except for the fact that they can overclock like noneother!

Where's Jamxx when you need him...:confused:
with good cooling, and a good mb/psu/etc a single core opteron can oc up to 3.0ghz.

also, clock speed is not a fair comparison between p4's and a64's.

btw, i'm just curious to know what you guys mean by multitasking. do you mean palying diablo 2 while having cs:source up at the same time? cuz i can do that now. And i dont have a dual core system. and why the hell would you play both at the same time.. and HOW , even with 2 monitors.. might as well jsut get TWO systems instead.

if you mean keeping windows media player on, while surfing the net, and having photoshop cs2 open while chatting on msn, aim + yahoo + icq and recording ur guitar licks, + playing a game at the same time... well my current setup does that. So i dont see the point of the dual core systems..

hell, just wait for vista and see what the reviews are AFTER the os is released. just WAIT!!! for jebus' sake. because apparently, as most of you are well aware, vista is supposed to take advantage of the second core....

you never know what anything is capable of until you get to test it out first hand.
plus the os is gonna cost close to 500 bux (tax included). This os is gonna be the foundation of pc computers.. dont you want to wait just a little bit and see how it all works out before you go ahead and lay the cash down on the systeM? just wait man... please.. i beg of you.. for ur OWN sake of saving money. Besides, no good games are even coming out for at least 2 months : Ghost recon advanced warfighter, oblivion , etc. just wait.. PLEASE! and i'll guarantee you that you'll be satisfied with ur buy then..

besides, if you wait out.. the computer parts ur looking at now will get even cheaper. only better for you my friend. Wait for the vista, hold off on all system upgrades.

okay my post above is a little messy. but basically what i want to say is that you should wait till vista, then we'll know if it's actually worth getting the dual core, or laying back old school with the single. as i stated in one of my earlier posts, praising the dual core is just a hyped up ritual cult. so yeah, hopefully that helps you out.

My bad, my bad.

The Opteron is awesome. I love mine. However, I can not get mine stable past 2.9 GHz. It just won't happen, I don't know what's up but I think it's just because I got CABJE. But this thing flies... For the record, it gets around 12 K on AquaMark3 in the CPU score.

What was the stock frequency of your Opteron 148? 2.2Ghz? I think that's it but I'm not forcertain. Anywho, a 600MHz overclock for an Opteron, I think that;s fairly decent, considering I only get roughly 800MHz increase on my P4 overclocked.

I definetly think that getting the Opteron 144 + 1 gig of RAM + that CPU cooler, is definetly the better buy. Although, I could very well be mistaken! And then again, in June the new Socket AM2 and it's new 6 A64 X2 processors come out, so that will drop the things I want by a very VERY significant amount! :D

Back
Top Bottom