40 GB HD ONLY GIVES ME 30 GB!? This one is for you guys ar Computer forums ^^

i thnik it has to do somthing with using the win 2000 setup disc, i just dont wanna do anythign that i would regret

OK...

it's not the system restore thing.
it clearly says when he looks at the disk in the disk manager view he has 10GB of unpartitioned space!!

the question is...
where did this PC come from, is it shop bought? restore partitions really only started to come into play when windows XP was fully mainstream so I doubt that ths is the case... however a good check is whether this is unpartitioned space is at the start or end of the disk... either way I SERIOUSLY doubt that anymanufacturer would set aside 10GB for system restore... it's usually only 1 or two GB at the most!!

if the space is at the end of the disk then I'd suggest that this trouble is caused by a disk size problem when you were setting up your machine... (you can se partition magic to resize the partition)

what is the file system, (FAT32 or NTFS?) there is a limit to FAT32 (or at least there is when you first set it up before installing some service pack updates.

Also does you other computer recognise the full disk size, (you said that you had to swap PCs to find out that you had unpartitioned space.) could it be that you have a 32BGB limit on the disk size from your BIOS?

Yeah, since from 40gb, you shouldn't lose as much as 10, not for that drive.

I assume something has gone wrong, or your hard disk is a bit faulty.

The formatted size will always be a bit less though, but not as much as that. Only a few gig I presume on a 40GB should be taken away.

Err, did you set your hard drive in the CLJ position with the jumper? CLJ=Capacity Limitation Jumper. It makes the drive not be be recognising more than 32GB, some are lower. Are you sure you set it to master? If yes, Try partitioning the remaining 10. If it works, delete both partitions, after backing up all stuff, and then, create one. If there is 10GB ramaining...then...I think we're due for a test

Back
Top Bottom