importance of a good psu

badninja3

Daemon Poster
how important is it to have a good psu when overclocking? cuz im building a system now and i intend to overclock. can i last a month using the psu that comes with the case? will i be able to stablely overclock?

Probably not.

Power supplies that come with cases are usually not the best.

Since you are overclocking, I think a new PSU would be good.

Heres an example. Before when i had my P4 2.4GHZ and i was useing a really old 300watt PSU it was a cheap brandless. I was only able to overclock my CPU to 2.5 then when i got my Antec truepower 480watt i was able to overclock to 2.8 no problem

kev said:
Heres an example. Before when i had my P4 2.4GHZ and i was useing a really old 300watt PSU it was a cheap brandless. I was only able to overclock my CPU to 2.5 then when i got my Antec truepower 480watt i was able to overclock to 2.8 no problem
oh okay. so i will definately need a good psu if i plan to oc my opteron? do you have any recommendations? btw, im on a bit of a budget.

Consider this...

Justin's Rule of Thumb said:
If you must overclock any componet of the PC, a good PSU is necessary.

With that said, the PSU is the single most important componet of the computer! if you want to overclock, you need a good PSU. It's as simple as that. :)

Whats your budget, a good budget psu is Fortron AX-500, keep in the mind that Fortron underrates their PSUs. Another good one is the OCZ Powerstream 520. Single 12V rails tend to be better. So stick with a high single 12V rail. If you want to go all out, PCP&C 510.

Even if you dont want to overclock (like me), the PSU is still the last piece to skimp on. With a bad PSU, it dosent matter how good your system is; it wont run.

well, i dont have a set price that i want to spend, but i dont wanna spend a fortune. i was thinking of something around $50? maybe? i seriously dont know. if i get something expensive, i need it to last forever. jk but u know what i mean. but if i can get a cheap one($25) that will last for a little while, like until i get enough money for a good expensive one. by expensive one, i mean one that supports dual-PCIe and sata and all that good stuff. if i get a cheap one, it just needs to support one pcie.

Back
Top Bottom