How are people getting such low temps?!

Ð88

Fully Optimized
I was on another forum and posted some of my idle and load temperatures for my computer. Right now idle is 33-35 degrees celcius and load can be as much as 50-55 degrees celcius. Now this one guy said that those temperatures are waaaaaaaaay to high for an AMD cpu and that any computer he has ever built with AMD components never had a load temperature greater than 38 degrees. Is that true? Are AMD cpus really suppose to run that cool? Cause if that's the way it's suppose to be then something is definitely not right with mine.

Keep in mind this is all based on air cooling only. I run two 120cm fans (one front and one back) and an 80cm fan on the side. My voltage is at 1.50V (i wasnt able to go any lower than 1.45V without BSOD) and my clock is at 2600 Mhz (other specs are below in sig).

Opinions?

Well that is kind of a big overclock. You could try reseating your heatsink. Also make sure your cables are neat and not running everywhere. That can help the airflow a lot if you have good cable managment.

oh yes the cables are very nice and tidy. I doubt they would restrict any significant amount of airflow. Maybe you're right about the re-seating the heatsink but I do recall that my temperatures have been about the same since I first built the computer and was running the stock 2.2Ghz.

No thats Normal my Athlon THunderbired (not 64) at 1.2ghz (stock speed and cooling) runs at 50º at idle

thats because its no 90nm. 90nm chips run cooler. You should not be getting a 20*C raise in temps. Reseat your HSF and get some AS5 on there if you havent already. And get some aftermarket cooling. I advise a Scythe Ninja or a XP-90c or a XP-120 or a TT Big Typhoon.

Well i was at first, but i think i am going to definitely stick with simply replacing the heatsink. I read some professional reviews about the product just now and it seems that they all say its not very effective for avid overclockers (which i happen to be) so that turns me away. For paying that much I would expect to see a better performance gain. I'm looking at the Thermalright XP-90C right now. I think I might go with that instead and save myself some dollars.

Get the Thermalright XP-90C or the SI-120. If you want a tower heatsink, get a Scythe ninja.

Back
Top Bottom