new computer freezing

i did memtest86, no errors reported. i have written down all the info from the screen. not sure if it is worth writing up on here though if there were no detected errors.

i just checked my cpu fan, it is working fine, and ever since i have had the machine, the hottest temp i have seen for the cpu is 38c well within acceptable limits i think, on average it is about 32c.

i am checking all my drivers now. maybe there is a compatibility issue? or i don't have the the most up to date ones.? also just read something suggesting i should install a hotfix http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=81429

looks overly complicated though. i think i might give that a miss, untill i properly know what i am doing.

strange thing is though, the computer hasn't froze yet. it has been on for a couple of hours now. yesterday and the day before it would freeze within 5 minutes of xp loading, today it hasn't happened at all. all very confusing.

It could be overheating in some way or other. Tell us if it starts happening again.

thank you all for your help.

i have been monitoring the temps all the time and the system is quite cool.

i think the word 'odd' pretty much sums it all up.

i`m not counting my chickens just yet, the pc is going to be switched on for a while yet, just to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Yeah, best to make sure.

It can't be good though for you to have got a problem straight after powering it up. Lets just hope the problem doesn't come back, or at least, another one doesn't appear.

looks like i definately will be calling them up tomorrow. same thing happened, though this time i was actually using a few applications and it had been switched on for hours. if their technicians pass on any useful info i will make sure to post it here.

run prime95 and superpi. Run superpi first, choose 32M. If it passes that, run Prime95 overnight. If it passes that, it shouldnt crash anymore.

thanks ownage, i will try those at some point today if my problem persists.

just an update though. my little brother suggested i right click on desktop, enter properties, go to settings, advanced and then reduce a setting, i think it was a graphics setting, something about accelerated hardware, anyway this was on max setting so i reduced it and the computer was again running for hours after that. i left it on overnight downloading something, but woke up to find it frozen again. so i call them this morning, and their technician knew what the problem was straight away. he said there is a driver compatibility issue with my wireless cards software and has asked me to disable the LAN card until they send me the new driver.

hopefully this will sort out my problem. for reference, the LAN card is made by sweex and the software is called rt2500 ralink i believe. if anyone considers buyuing this wireless card i would advice against it from my experience. i`m considering taking the whole card out and buying a usb card.

thanks once again for all the replies and advice. but hopefully (starts praying) this problem is now fixed for good. if not they can just send me a new pc.

did you find a solutions? if not then probably you have bad winxp os if hardware then bad motherboard or cpu

i hope your computer builder is not that cheap.

Back
Top Bottom