Virus protection?

MarxSoccer

BSOD
I've been hearing alot of talk about processors having anti virus or security features or yada yada built right into the chip, and there's no way I can believe that, is it even possible, or is it just a marketing scheme? Last night I was watching a QVC type channel with them talking about the AMD having it, could someone explain this to me?

Here's the link directly from AMD regarding virus protection and AMD CPU's:

title_headers_EVP.jpg

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Weblets/0,,7832_11104_11105,00.html

Hmm, they don't get very detailed about it, but that just doesn't seem right. To me, its going a way we don't want it, processors getting ruined by having AV and such loaded on it. Like all the newer corn fuel cars, sure its good for the environment but no car enthusiast is going to want that..

Here's a little more detail on that:

"AMD's Enhanced Virus Protection security technology in combination with Microsoft's Data Execution Prevention in the Windows XP SP2 is designed to help render some viruses, specifically buffer overrun exploits, inoperable and prevent them from replicating and spreading to other systems. The core of AMD's Enhanced Virus Protection is the so-called NX bit in the page-translation tables that specifies whether instructions can be executed from the page. The EVP is enabled on all AMD64 – including AMD Athlon 64 and AMD Opteron processors – and on certain AMD Sempron chips. The capability is also available on Intel's Itanium, Itanium 2 and on some Intel Pentium 4 microprocessors.

Reclame Code Commissie of the Netherlands, an organization that regulates advertising in the country, recently said some or all AMD EVP radio ads were “too absolute and as a result misleading”, according to Tweakers.net web-site. The regulators pointed out the fact that the technology needed Service Pack 2 to be installed on a PC running Microsoft Windows XP operating system and was able to protect only against a number of malicious programs.

AMD's web-site states that the EVP was designed to prevent the spread of certain viruses, like MSBlaster and Slammer. The web-site also notes that the Windows XP SP2 is compulsory for EVP operation. Furthermore, the web-site claims that Enhanced Virus Protection will by default only protect the user's Windows operating system and users must, at installation of Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 or when they first purchase their system, choose to enable the protection of their applications and associated files from memory buffer overrun attacks. AMD and Microsoft strongly recommend that users use third party anti-virus software as part of their security strategy, a document located at amd.com advices."

Back
Top Bottom