Your highest overclock

1337DuD3 said:
A Pentium 4 from 2.8GHz all the way up to 3.64GHz. I was goign to hit 4GHz, but the temps started to increase a little bit, not to much, so yeah. I'd consider 2.8 to 3.64GHz to be a rather large Overclock. :D
Thats pretty good. I cant get mine any higher, not sure if its my motherboard or memory not letting me. I have the memory on a big divider so Im thinking its my motherboard.

cpuzscreeny4zq.jpg

The Amish Kid said:
Thats pretty good. I cant get mine any higher, not sure if its my motherboard or memory not letting me. I have the memory on a big divider so Im thinking its my motherboard.

Well, what kind of motherboard are you using? I use an ASUS board, which is REALLY nice. It comes with preset overclocking values. Just set the Voltage of the RAM and CPU to Auto, then set the CPU frequency to 5%, 10%, 20%, or 30%, Save settings and Reboot, go into Windows, and presto! New CPU frequency, FSB speeds, RAM speeds, and finally the good thing, which might actually end up saving you from crashing, all of your voltages are automatically set to the right voltages by having the motherboard auto detect what they should be at at certain frequencies. It's a fail-safe method to overclocking, and that, is good. :D

1337DuD3 said:
A Pentium 4 from 2.8GHz all the way up to 3.64GHz. I was goign to hit 4GHz, but the temps started to increase a little bit, not to much, so yeah. I'd consider 2.8 to 3.64GHz to be a rather large Overclock. :D

i wonder how difference is it? improve the computer a lot?

i am afriad that it will blow up my computer if i overcload my p4 2.4 HT and intel is also not recommend overclock p4... celeron is considerly accepted.

i am more care about cpu cache than speed.

Actually Pentium 4 processors that use the Prescott core are actually some of the best overclocking CPUs in the world, next to the Opteron and it's freakishly weird ability to overclock to insanely high frequencies.

The Prescott can handle temperatures of up to 80C before you really have to worry. With proper cooling inside the case, you can lower CPU enviorment temperatures dramatically. I did, although it took me $120 to do it, but, achievable nontheless. I suggest that you overclock your CPU by 10%, just take your CPU frequency, which you said is 2.4, so 2400 times .10 comes out to be roughly 240Mhz. So, overclock it by that much, see what happens. If the sh*t hits the fan, then reset the CMOS and resume activities as normal.

However! Be advised! Any overclocking you do, may or may not, cause damage to the CPU or any other componet to the computer (PC). Though highly unlikly, it has happened to people. Typically to those who fail to realise that cooling is VITAL. Raising the frequency to high can cause stress to the CPU and it's componets, but if you follow instructions carefully, you will avoide this and end up with a faster CPU, a faster FSB, faster RAM, and ultimately, a faster computer.

To actually tell the difference from a standard clocked CPU to an Overclocked CPU, you have to change the frequency by a considerable margin. I noticed a rather large improvement in my booting up times once my processor was overclocked by 500MHz. Although the system did have a tendency to become unstable, and by unstable I mean the main C:\Windows\System32\System.conf file went corrupt! And that, is bad...

But, just reset the OC to standard fequency and presto! you're good to go!

So, I suggest you OC that P4 to 2.6Ghz and see what happens. If the sh*t hits the fan, reset the CMOS, and you'll be back on track and reporting back to us in no time flat. :)

hmm look like i dont need to overclock my cpu because its boot up really fast without raid ( i use raid so it slow a bit but i have to use it for sata hdd :\)

once i overclocked it up to about 3.4ghz ( safe )and still afriad to use it constantly so i decide to put it as default because of life span and warrenty.

i try to ask if its improve to handle and runs multiple programs.

thank you for explaining... its interesting post.

cpu.jpg

Raidmax Ninja Black Case With 500 Watt Psu.
Asus P5ND2 SLi Deluxe nForce4 SLi (LGA775) PCI-Express Motherboard. 8GB / 4GB DDR2 667.
Intel Pentium 4 630 "LGA775 Prescott" 3.0GHz (800FSB) with HT Technology.
XFX GeForce PCX6600 GT 256MB DDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express).
GeIL 1GB (2x512MB) PC5300 667MHz DDR2 Dual Channel Kit.
Sony DWQ30AB 16x16 DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter.
Samsung SpinPoint P HD080HJ 80GB SATA-II 8MB Cache + Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 10 NCQ 120GB 6L120M0 SATA 8MB Cache.
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS 7.1

idle temp: 29
load: 51

Back
Top Bottom