new computer freezing

mithrandir2

Solid State Member
received my new computer a few days back and so far it is giving me nothing but hassle :mad:

before i continue, these are the specs:

amd x2 4200 with gigabyte cpu cooler
1gb samsung ram (2x512)
geeforce 6600 GPU
asus a8ne
600w power supply
XP Pro with service pack 2

if i have left anything out please ask.

the chipset is supposed to be a nvidia nforce ultra chipset but on pc wizard it says it is a sli chipset and the mobo's cd rom i received with the computer says a8n-sli series. is there something wrong here? and could this be causing my pc to freeze?

the computer freezes about 5 minutes after i turn it on, xp loads, windows starts, then as i said, after a few minutes it freezes. the only thing i can do is, turn the computer off from the power button. nothing else works, but i can open and shut the cd drives.

i have read that x2 cpu's may need certain drivers, is there a way i can check whether all my drivers are up to date? i don't think this is causing the problem because the computer was supposed to arrive with all the relevent drivers already installed or at least on disk.

my one other suspicion at the cause of the freezing is the software which came with my wireless card. the lan card says sweex essentials as does the cd for it, but when you install the software it is called ralink. this might be nothing but i thought i would mention it anyway.

does anyone please know what is going on?

thank for the taking the time to read this, and a bigger thank you for any replies.

Since its new , cant you just call them and tell them whats going on?

yeah, mithrandir is gandalfs other name in LOTR. agreed, great book.

Dev0115. unless i can fix the problem today, i am calling them tomorrow. if there isn't a hardware fault, i think i have to pay £35 about 70 dollars, so i thought it might be best to see if i can figure what the problem is first. i am running memtest86 now to see if the problem has anything to do with the memory.

Back
Top Bottom