Determaining CrossFire supported cards?

Wait.. when did this 512 come out? Lol. Im assuming onboard ram.. not interface right? Damn, yeah im sure that beats it out. Also cause its using ( I think) the r530 core or something to that effect

Arrizx I don't know why you think a 6800GS in SLI will beat two X1600PROs in CF. because 1024MB of combined video memory vs 512MB of combined video memory, I seriously doubt the 6800GS will win. Not to mention, the GS costs more, and delivers less performance after crunching the numbers.

ArrizX_MuziK said:
Wait.. when did this 512 come out? Lol. Im assuming onboard ram.. not interface right? Damn, yeah im sure that beats it out. Also cause its using ( I think) the r530 core or something to that effect
ya. sorry. i meant 512mb. 128-bit

which is better? 256mb gddr3 or 512mb gddr2?

Read my last post.. I didnt know it was 512. I thought that it was 256. Because when I was researching thats all that was out. And aside from that.. you have an agp mobo correct? So your going to get a pci ex mobo, CF ready, thats an LGA775 socket or whatever? Because I have never seen one of those. But eh.. I dont know anything about mobos, lol..

ArrizX_MuziK said:
Read my last post.. I didnt know it was 512. I thought that it was 256. Because when I was researching thats all that was out. And aside from that.. you have an agp mobo correct? So your going to get a pci ex mobo, CF ready, thats an LGA775 socket or whatever? Because I have never seen one of those. But eh.. I dont know anything about mobos, lol..
they have crossfire-ready motherboards for amd's. theres only like 5 on newegg, but the cheapest one is only $95

I know, but he has a pent 4, 2.8ghz. Which also might I add, will (might) bottleneck this.

ArrizX_MuziK said:

You're correct. The X1600 series cards use the R530 chip. Not to mention the X1600PRO comes in 512MB GDDR2, which gives it a higher video memory count the the GS by twice the amount per card. So numerically, the 6800GS isn't the better card in signle, or in double GPU setups.

Both cards use 12 pixel pipelines, although the 6800GS has slower core and memory clock rates. The 6800GS has CORE clock of 425MHz, the X1600PRO has a CORE clock of 500MHz. The MEMORY clock of the 6800GS is 1000MHz, the X1600PROs MEMORY clock is 780MHz. Although I'm not sure if that's calculated with DDR or not, if so, then the 6800GS beats it only in MEMORY clock.

The 6800GS also has a higher bit-rate then the X1600PRO, 256-bit as oppossed to the X1600PROs 128-bit, although it has a 256-bit ring bus, not to sure about the GS though. Also! The 6800GS doesn't display as high of resolutions as the X1600PRO can. The GS supports only up to 2048x1536, the X1600PRO displays 2560x1600.

So all-in-all the 6800GS gets beat in nearly everything! :D The only it has goign for it is the memory speed and bit-rate. Which, may be faster, but it has LESS memory then the X1600PRO, 512MB GDDR2 @ 128-bit VS 256MB GDDR3 @ 256-bit. The more memory the better. It may have a faster bit-rate and a slightly better type of memory, but 512MB VS 256MB, I don't know if you can make the comparision.

For me, the cheaper, yet better performing X1600PRO, is the card to get. Not the overpriced and overrated 6800GS.

1337DuD3 said:
Interesting. Because multiple people keep saying that they have them BOTH in CrossFire. What are you referring to? Are you saying that I won't be able to have all the options of CrossFire enabled. Please refer me to a link of some sort. :confused:

[EDIT] After rereading your post you say,

So any X1K family card has the chipset? Which includes the X1600. I don't know, still partially lost on the subject.

"The system requires a Crossfire-compliant motherboard with a pair of PCI Express graphics cards, which can be enabled via either hardware or software. Radeon x800s, x850s, x1800s and x1900s come in a 'Crossfire Edition' that has 'master' capability built into the hardware. Radeon x1300s and x1600s have no 'Crossfire Edition' but are enabled via software. Another point to note is that the 'slave' graphics card needs to be from the same family as the 'master', regardless of whether the 'master' is designated by the hardware or by software."

Yeah, so they can't be completely different cards, but they have to be from the same family. So a X850 XT PE CrossFire Edition will work with a X800 Pro, or a X1800 CrossFire will work with a X1800 XL so on so forth...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossfire_(GPU)

badninja3 said:
(sli)6800gs vs (cf)x1600pro512

which wins?

Won't make much difference. Both are very similar and support the same technology (Shader Model 3.0 etc). The memory doesn't make much difference other than for Anti-Aliasing and Antistropic-Filtering.

Back
Top Bottom